You can type here any text you want

Rear Main Bearing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtbraun

When pulling the two bolts for the main bearing cap last night, a small amount of dry, granular/rocky crap fell out with each bolt. It was dark in color and didn't look like metal filings. Any idea what this is? Or more importantly, is there a reason to be concerned something else might be wrong?

Also, I cannot get the bottom cap off. I removed all the old RTV and tried using the bolts partially threaded to work the cap loose. I also tapped on it with a rubber mallet. No dice. Any other tricks for removing this?

I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the bolts and the threads in the block look ok. Clean it all up and inspect it carefully.

I use a small slide hammer with a 5/16 thread. It threads into one of the 2 pan bolt holes. You can make something like this with a long bolt or a piece of 5/16 all-thread (threaded rod)

use the two main cap bolts inserted into the cap but not threaded and grab them as you would a pair of pliers (not too tight and dont use a hammer) and rock the cap forward and back a little then pull the cap down . you could also use a pan bolt installed a few threads and use a pry bar under the head and that will break the sealer bond and lift the cap slightly so that you can wiggle it out using the main bolts

Soft faced mallet and tap the cap back and forth easy. It will come. Dont get Jungle with it tho

I ended up using two 3/8" ratchet extensions in the cap holes. Rocked it back and forth until it came loose. Peice of cake. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back