You can type here any text you want

Rear main leaking on new Weber 109 stroker...temporary fix

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CS99

The motor has a knurled crank and the rear main is dripping a small amount on my garage floor. I did this temporary fix for now. I am going to see if it gets worse over time, but its not that big of a deal. The motor has a girdle and will have to be removed to replace the rear main. I put two layers of oil absorbant pad beneath a piece of wire mesh. This is just something for now to keep the oil off my floor.
DSC02093_(Medium).JPG
DSC02094_(Medium).JPG

Pretty neat trick. If if gets too bad, your flywheel will be swimming. ;)
I was thinking that also, that is why I didn't block the original drain hole in the cover. If the pad gets to much oil in it, I am hoping the excess will still go out the hole. The leak is very little, but just enought to mess up the floor where I park.

I just may have to try that for the time-being. Is that a self-adhesive drywall patch or is it something else?

I just may have to try that for the time-being. Is that a self-adhesive drywall patch or is it something else?
I cut two pieces off of an oil absorbant mat, like the kind you lay on the floor for oil leaks. The wire mesh holds it in place. My mechanic said that possibly the knurl on the crank may wear in enough that eventually the leak will stop.

What kind of adhesive is that, double-sided tape or some kind of glue?

My mechanic said that possibly the knurl on the crank may wear in enough that eventually the leak will stop.
I hope it does man, good luck and thanks. :)

Had the same problem it was not the main seal. The studs that went thru the girdle were seeping oil in the back. Looked just like a main leak removed studs, used brake cleaner to clean the holes, installed right stuff sealer, torqued studs and let dry over night. Problem solved. Might not be your problem but worth a try.
Bob

What kind of adhesive is that, double-sided tape or some kind of glue?
Ok, so there are two screws holding the screen in place; I guess I should have looked at the pics (especially the second one) a little more closely.

Back