You can type here any text you want

Rear Main Seal Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tzque

I switched to Synthetic and now I have the rear mail seal leak . I really dont want to change my rear seal . Here goes there is no such thing as a dumb question question .
If I go back to conventional oil does the leak go away and secondly how do you guys feel about the Stop leak for rear main seals ?
Let me be honest this car and my wife are on a thin rope . I need to delay changing the seal but cant stand the oil smoke at start up .
Please give your opinions .

No stop leak, change back to dino oil and it should swell the seal stopping the leak.

Mitch

Mine did the same thing when I started synthetic last year, just dealt with it through the summer and before I put it away for the winter I put dino back in. Still awaiting the weather to get it back out this spring and see how/if it worked.

changing from synthetic back to dino oil

Hope you don't mind me asking (not trying to hijack your thread).....

I'm thinking of changing from Mobil 1 synthetic to Brad Penn dino oil.

Any precautions or special servicing that needs to be done when changing back to dino from synthetic?:confused:

Thanks

dave

Change oil & filter with Dino. Nothing special from Synthetics. Maybe a good idea to run 1 quart thru with pan open to clean the 1/4" sitting on the bottom but I wouldnt worry too much myself. Just change after 500 miles & your done.

PS: Unless racing then I change almost every track weekend.

Seriously no rocket science, syn is not needed IMO.

Just plain ole dino valvoline and zddplus will suffice for whatever you are throwing at it. Follow your oil change intervals and if your are racing the car alot/alot of stop n go/short runs and stopping without engine getting to temp/etc then change way more frequently.

As far as mixing/swapping back to dino form syn...no worrys.

FWIW on a side note my Infiniti says that synthetics is not recommended in the owners manual. I thought for sure it would but....NOPE.

Before reading it i ran syn and always had start up chatter..... switched to, coincidentally,..... valvoline dino and shes waaaaay quieter on start up now.

I stopped running syn in my Harley due to the primary chain case leaking from it. swapped to dino & no mo leaks.
As far as my GN goes I ran the syn back in 99 200 timeframe and it motor started having some start up noise and smoking a lil at start up (not a lot) and this also went away when swapping back to dino.
HTH

Back