You can type here any text you want

Rear main seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rjg1987gn

My rear main seal is shot and I am going to replace it. I have replaced rear main seals before but not on a Buick much less a '87 Grand National. Are there any special or unusual things I should know?

Thanks
Rick

Yes I did search postings and the gnttype how to site.

In my humble opinion too many conflicting suggestions that lead one to wonder which suggestion is best!

Yes I did search postings and the gnttype how to site.
In my humble opinion too many conflicting suggestions that lead one to wonder which suggestion is best!

I think once you get it started, and run into a problem and post it up -someone will post you up an answer.

Use "The Right Stuff" aerosol sealer instead of silicone in place of the rubber strips in the above procedure, clean the cap and block well, and use some pipe thread sealer between the cap and block at the rear. After using many different metheods, this worked for me. No leaks finally.

Pretty much what they said above me. I took some "Super Clean" (I think that's the purple plastic bottle that you can get in autozone for degreasing and cleaning), sprayed it on a paper towel and wiped the mating surfaces so that the silicone sits properly. My brother and I figured out our own way to remove the original 25 year old seal. Putting in the new seal, I had to crank the engine as my brother slid in the new seal (block was still in the car). Once the top half was the rest of the seal can be done the way you feel or the how-to's say. The side channels, I did this way, I put approximately half of the channel with silicone and I hammered in the rubber long pieces and then those two pins. Personally, I think that's the best way to make sure no leaks from there arise. Key to the main cap is to keep all of that clean and degreased.

Back