Rear Steer Hybrid?

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Has anyone put anLC2 into a rear steer chassis? I am planning mine right now but I'd like the input of anyone that has done it before. I'm guessing I'm going to have to take either a T-Riv or an Hot Air motor and slice and dice the sump and pickup to clear the steering linkage.

Thanks,

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
Howdy,

Has anyone put anLC2 into a rear steer chassis? I am planning mine right now but I'd like the input of anyone that has done it before. I'm guessing I'm going to have to take either a T-Riv or an Hot Air motor and slice and dice the sump and pickup to clear the steering linkage.

Thanks,

Rear Steer, as in a Ford?. :)

If you can get a copy of the V6 Power Book, I believe there's a series of pics showing the various V6 oil pans.

Nope, no Ford for me. Look left and you see the eventual new home of the motor. I don't crossbreed between brands.

Nope, no Ford for me. Look left and you see the eventual new home of the motor. I don't crossbreed between brands.

Look left?

BTW, I was wrong the Power Book has exhuast manifolds not oil pans.

Will dig around some more.

My Avatar, its a 65 Riviera, they use a center sump oil pan and a rear steer step and I think it would be easier to modify the oil pan than to convert the entire front suspension to a front steer configuration ideally using an Impala SS front set up.

As far as I can find there are only 2 pans for the 14-bolt blocks, the T-riv FWD pans and the Hot Air RWD pans. Its one of the escentries of using a 4.1 I guess, no such thing as a 20 bolt 4.1.

Thanks,

My Avatar, its a 65 Riviera, they use a center sump oil pan and a rear steer step and I think it would be easier to modify the oil pan than to convert the entire front suspension to a front steer configuration ideally using an Impala SS front set up.

As far as I can find there are only 2 pans for the 14-bolt blocks, the T-riv FWD pans and the Hot Air RWD pans. Its one of the escentries of using a 4.1 I guess, no such thing as a 20 bolt 4.1.

Thanks,

I am not familiar with the steering linkage in your 65 Riv or how much clearance you will need when installing the Buick, but if you are'nt already aware that the 79-85 Riv V6 oil pans are stamped different than the Regals, allowing for the right drive axle to go under the motor. The sump pickup is in the same place but the pan is real shallow from timing cover to just past 1&3 cylinders then drops down, do you need dimensions? also the mid to later 85 Riv V6 oil pan is 20 bolt.

I've seen the pan and the interference would be even worse with a T-Riv pan as the whole sump is right on top of where the steering linkage would be. I'm trying to dig up a picture of the nailhead with the oil pan on it so you can see what I'm talking about but here is the general setup in a quick cheezy MS Paint diagram.

Attachments

• oilpan.jpg
    oilpan.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 98
I don't know what the little one in the back if for but it's there. I planned on just making that flat and using it as the location for the crossover tube. Luckily the 65 Riv has a ST400 tranny so the bellhousing to crossmember distance is near identical with a TH200-4R so the V6 will physically bolt into the same space as the nailhead so atleast I can bolt the pans side by side on a piece of plywood and modify the sump to fit the same configuration. Hope this helps ya'll understand what's going on.

Thanks,