You can type here any text you want

Rear suspension help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sqhatch

I just bought a set of weld drag lites 15x8 rear w/ 275/50/15 bfg drag radials already mounted on them. I'm also running skinnies on the front for the track.

Just after installing all 4 wheels and going for a ride w/ 2 friends i noticed they rub my fender lip on the rear over most bumps and upon launching the car.

The car is sitting on 100k stock suspension.

I hear conflicting opinions on both cargo coils and air bags in terms of ride and drag racing.

I weekend drive the car only and it will see the track when warmer weather comes back.

My goal is to make it a streetable low 12 second car in the end. All the reading of previous threads have just left me more confused and undecided on how to fix this problem.

Any suggestions appreciated.

My drivers side tire rubs when going over bumps. I think the springs may be getting weak. Or you could get a different shock absorber, and you can roll the fender.

Air bags.

They're cheap, adjustable, and work great. If you put about 8 psi in them, it wont raise the car, but keep it from bottoming out. Might even make it handle better.

Mike B.

How about just getting a new set of stock replacement springs? Then go from there on the air bags?

stock replacements and new ac delco premium gas charged shocks are on there way. Today i cut a 1.80 60' at the track w/ the 103k mile rear suspension in place. Hopefully this will help me from bottoming out and return the factory height and ride of the car. If i can drop a tenth in the 60' that'd be nice too :)

If It Rubs More On One Side Then The Other Usually Its Because The Body Is Not Square To The Frame.either Way Its An Easy Fix New Coils And Shocks.

When I bought my GN in June of last year, I could push the rear bumper down to the stops without much effort.:eek: I got new cargo coils and KYBs for cheap and it really helped out. Best 60' to date is a 1.58 on the original 100K bushings and stock rear swaybar, with a 28"x9.5" ET Drag. Ive since changed to boxed stock LCAs with new rubber bushings and a 1" bar, but I do have a 1.375" bar on order from FullThrottle (theyre backordered right now:( ). Best 60' to date on a DR is a 1.68. Both of those are with a front swaybar in place, and the latter time a 36mm bar was and still is in place on my GN

I have installed the airbags into a car with cargo coils and at 10psi each, the 275/50/15 MTs dont rub. The swaybar also helped tighten the car up since this particular GN (not mine) isnt running a front swaybar.

But I have heard that if tires rub on either side, the body is misaligned to the frame or the rear is out of alignement; or most likely probably both.

Just my .02 on the situation.

Had some time yesterday to work on the GN, took off the rear springs/ shocks. The shocks were completely shot, you could compress them w/ one hand off the car and they wouldn't even try to return to regular height.

Hopefully w/ the new moog springs and new shocks this should alleviate some of my problems and help my 60' time too.

I'm thinking of doing lower control arms over the winter now also, anybody have any brand reccomendations based on hard evidence ?

Back