You can type here any text you want

Reasons For Wheel Hop ??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

carrddine

boost junky
What are common reasons for wheel hop? most likely springs or shocks? I was brake boosting yesterday and the car started to wheel hop pretty bad so I wanted to know should I replace the springs or shocks or both,what else could it be...

Worn out, too-soft, OEM rubber bushings in the control arms are another culprit.

Replacing all 8 bushings with new, firmer, F-body "1LE" rubber bushings should help a lot, without the "binding" concerns of polyurethane replacement style bushings.

(Excepting HR Parts & Stuff poly bushings / control arms, which are of a design that is likely far more resistant to "binding".)

(Excepting HR Parts & Stuff poly bushings / control arms, which are of a design that is likely far more resistant to "binding".)

Not flaming, but can you explain what is different about the HR arms that makes them more resistant to binding?

Thanks,
Rick

RKHiPerformance said:
Not flaming, but can you explain what is different about the HR arms that makes them more resistant to binding?
Thanks,
Rick
From my observation, it's not strictly the arms themselves, but rather the "split" poly bushings that allow each half to "relax" independently. The arm design (very rigid and dureable) and fabrication is top quality. But for those on a tighter budget, the HR arms might be overkill for milder street/strip cars.

From my observation, it's not strictly the arms themselves, but rather the "split" poly bushings that allow each half to "relax" independently. The arm design (very rigid and dureable) and fabrication is top quality. But for those on a tighter budget, the HR arms might be overkill for milder street/strip cars.

If I understand you correctly, the feature you describe in the HR arms can also be found in the Metco, Edelbrock, and Hotchkis control arms. I believe these manufacturers (and others) use an off-the-shelf Energy Suspension bushing. Thanks very much for the explanation.

Back to the topic...In addition to the causes of wheel hop Tom mentioned, improper suspension geometry can contribute to wheel hop. This is especially true if the car has been lowered significantly, causing the front of the lower control arm to be lower than the rear.

My car has 145,000mi I drive it daily all I have are KYB 50/50's in the rear w/hotchkis springs & 275/50/15 M/T ET Streets. I hate the springs the car sets to low in the rear. My point is I would check your shocks I have never had wheel hop ever even with the 50/50's and stock springs. I'm sure my bushings are wasted in the arms and still no wheel hop ;) . Brent

Well thanks for the thoughts,Ill just do the shocks, bushings,springs and hopefully be done with it....

I notice some of you guys are in cali will any one of you be attending the bates nut farm car show on jun 4th???

RKHiPerformance said:
If I understand you correctly, the feature you describe in the HR arms can also be found in the Metco, Edelbrock, and Hotchkis control arms. I believe these manufacturers (and others) use an off-the-shelf Energy Suspension bushing. Thanks very much for the explanation.
No, actually the HR Parts bushing is not like the standard Energy-brand bushing (at least, not the Energy bushings I remember from a few years ago; have they re-designed it??). I use to have those on car, and took them off. The Energy design uses a polyurethane piece that looks similar to the OEM rubber, except it's poly.

To visualize the HR 2-piece poly bushing, take a standard bushing and then cut across the "cylinder shape", leaving 2 smaller "cylinders". The 2 small cylinder halves can move a bit independently of one another, (supposedly) reducing the bind that results from the control arm being twisted in a plane other than its free-swinging direction (which all solid-axle, 4 link suspensions will do). Furthermore, the 2 bushing halves were separated by small gap, into which grease is introduced via the bushing shell's zerk fitting.
Hope this helps in visualizing the HR bushing ...

The HR bushing you describe sounds identical to the Metco bushing. Although I've never used them, I believe the Edelbrock/Hotchkis arms use the same bushing as well, and not just a poly version of the OEM bushing.

Thanks again for the 'splain...

Rick

When my rear swaybar broke, my car wheel hopped uncontrollably.

A new swaybar cured it.

Back