You can type here any text you want

Rebuild Parts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JKGeorge1116

I have decided to freshen up my motor and decided to do a rebuild. i was just wondering where would be the best place to get parts for it? The bearings, rings, gaskets etc? can i just get them through a local parts store or do our cars require anything special at all in any part of the rebuild? also is there anywhere where i can get a complete wiring harness. i have seen a couple hotrod sites that have some but for gm applications but was wondering if there is a better place?

Also i wanted to get some good valve springs for my TR. Also maybe a good set of lifters. My motor is fairly stock by the way and for now I'm gonna keep it that way until i get a bit more cash to play with. where should i get a set from?

Try any of the listed vendors on this website, or try here: Northern Auto Parts: - Buick 3.8-7 86-87 Turbo 14 bolt oil pan only
It really depends on what level of performance and what cam you are going to use to detirmine valve springs. Vendors are a great place to purchase valve springs, and cams.
Caspers has new wiring harnesses.
The above website has the oil pan bolts listed wrong, it should say 20 bolt pan. I have used MANY of thier kits over the years and they are of nice quality.

Id say buy it all from the vendors to insure you get the right parts and the best service tech if needed. Dan at DLS could help you with the bearings and such, they are great. Cottons or Kirban could help you with the valve springs and lifters. Click on Home up at the top and check the list on the right side. Every one of them sell great parts and have good service. Ive talked to most and anyone of them can lead you in the right direction.

I must ask why you want to go in?

If you must rebuild I would go with a stroker kit and then steel caps/girdle, either or both. Then you will be ready for some serious action. If you are not wanting to crank it up hard then rebuild only if something is wrong/broken.

Well the reason I'm rebuilding is because the motor has over 160k on it, it was rebuilt 60k ago, but i believe the previous owner told me he didn't replace any bearings or anything. I recently blew a head gasket so i figured since i have the heads off id build it again right. I'm just do a very mild build. Would the Heavy Duty Valve Springs on Kirbans be ok with the stock spec cam?

https://secure.mysuperpageshosting.com/kirbanperformance.com/index_turboregal.htm

You can buy rings, bearings, gaskets, springs, etc from any local parts store. But there are those on here who will tell you to buy from a TB vendor.

Now is there anything i should keep in mind while i rebuilding this motor? I have noticed that many people have said when rebuilding a motor dont take it to just any SBC guys. now i just finished building a 350 for my nova. is there anything i should keep in mind while im building this one? are there any major differences other than the obvious?

Now is there anything i should keep in mind while i rebuilding this motor? I have noticed that many people have said when rebuilding a motor dont take it to just any SBC guys. now i just finished building a 350 for my nova. is there anything i should keep in mind while im building this one? are there any major differences other than the obvious?

The major thing to pay attention to is the bearing clearances. Keep them in the .0015-.0018 range on rods and mains. :)

Just a thought, If you are going to be machining the block to bring everything into sprc. I would give some thought into installing a set of main studs and a pair billet caps on the center mains. With that, you should be good to go for plenty of power down the road when you decide to step it up. It's always easier to do things once when it comes to the bottom end. :cool:

So where would be the best place to get a set of main studs and a pair of billet caps for the center main? any other suggestions as far as preventative maintainence?

Full Throttle and G-Body parts are both good places for one stop shopping. Just about any of the vendors on the on the home page here can set you up with whatever you may need.

Back