rebuilding Hotair turbo

redhotrod

Turbo Happy
This is sweet, get to be the 1st post here!;)

Ok, just received my rebuild kit for my stock turbo on my 84 t type, ripped it all apart accordingly to the gnttype board on rebuilding turbochargers, but I am stumped on this here, my chra where the bearings are held is pretty grooved up, like contaminants where in the oil at one point in time. Is it possible for me to bore out the bearing holes and get oversized bearings, and if I can go this route, I would Like to put in ball bearings, But I understand these turbos rev around 150,000 rpms, I haven't found a bearing that can take that much rpms.
What can I do here?

bearings

yes you can do this . there is a few bearings that will fix this you have to mic the shaft and the out side of the bearing to see if its STD size . good luck shawn

I contacted Limited Engineering where I got the rebuild kit. They were able to give me the standard bore size for the original standard bearings, which was .622, original bearing OD is .619. Mine was already .010 over and the gouges were deeper than .0025" so it wasn't really repairable. You can only go .015" over standard according to Limited, which would make the overbore at .637". They ended up selling me a good used bearing housing for a good price with the bearings to accomodate it.
Thanks for the response.