You can type here any text you want

receiver grooves and loc wire HG

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KILL4PEACEUSMC

Team Infidel
Ive been looking to buy a set of Alm. cyl heads that have the receiver grooves cut in them for loc wire HG. Do I have to do anything special to my cyl block to run this setup? can I use a non loc style HG. Thanks in advance.

Will

There should be no work done to the block. There are several guys running non-lock head gaskets with grooved heads on the board. Maybe one will chime in. I have ported irons with grooves and 1007 fel-pros with the wire in them. Jon Hanson

My experiance with the 1007 head gaskets has been VERY positive. I use to use them all the time. I had a machinst cut the grooves for me. He is about as anal as ANYONE you would ever meet. He would surface grind the deck to .0005" or less and would then use a VERY expensive attachement to a mill to cut the grooves. The grooves have a tolerance of .001" over a 4.100" diameter. THe BHJ tool usually can't hold that tolerance. There are alot of guys that have bad experiences with the wire-lok head gaskets, but, I am pretty sure it's not the gasket, but the machining of the grooves that caused their problems.
I now use Cometic gaskets, and am pleased with them, too.

I just re-built a TTA engine using the 1007 Fel-Pros, and when I removed them they were in perfect shape. (after about 20,000+ mile of use.) I also trim the paper off of the gasket to simulate the factory shape. I feel that by trimming the paper off of the gasket face it increases point loading of the wire ring. I use a bead of Ultra-Black to seal the ends of the head for oil leaks. Also, follow the instructins included for bolt torque sequence. It is different than that of the factory manual. I use the bolet torque sequence on every head gakset I use now. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have had good luck as of lately (8 or so years)

I install the 1007's dry and "as is" or per instructions with no problems, if the groove is cut right than no problems. Trust me it is really hard to blow these gaskets and less likely to leak water than the cometics. I have used both and if the heads and block are truly flat than the cometics won't leak water.

Great info guys! Thanks! I just havent ever used loc wire head gaskets and I knew this was the place to ask! Have a great weekend everbody!

Back