Recent Roller Cam folks step inside.

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
Had a lifter tick and today she finally gave up the ghost today. Sounds like a sewing machine and I can depress some the rockers into the lifter; with it running, 2 valve springs barely move.
So......
Looking into the Roller cam conversion.
I intend to do the install in the car.

What did you choose?
Where did you get it?
Happy with it?
Installation complications?
price?
Was looking at 205/210 range but open to suggestions on my application. (Mods in Sig below).
TIA.

Call Jack Cotton (info in my signature below). He will help you with all the details. I installed my roller cam and it was easy. Hardest part is setting the end play. Not difficult but took about an hour or two. If you can change your oil and spark plugs, you can do this. You will also have to adjust the rockers (you are going with adjustable roller rockers aren't you?).
Conrad Carter

C'mon...it's not rocket science but then again it's not like changing the oil or spark plugs...you need to degree the cam which can be very time comsuming and you need the right tools...plus you can't just slap a set of pushrods in there or use the same ones(unless you are very lucky)...so you have to use a pushrod checker and determine the correct size pushrods...also will have to change out the valve springs...roller cams need a stronger spring than a flat tappet...

You're right. I skipped a few steps. But, it is not beyond the scope of most of the folks on this board. Besides, there is always a knowledgeable buddy that will show you the right way. If someone is not comfortable do the cam install, they can always have it installed by a pro...if they can find one.
Conrad

I worked in an auto motive machine shop years ago. I can do most any job with the proper tools. But I didnt want to buy it and tear into it and find out I need to have the front of the block machined for something.

I had the same problem. I got my roller setup from DLS and he can help pick out what you need. I chose to have my motor redone completely again, and let the machine shop assemble it. I chose a Comps Cam 210/210 and so far i like it alot. Also installed a set of T&D roller rockers.

What did you choose?
Where did you get it?
Happy with it?
Installation complications?
price?

Comp Cams 212/212 roller
P.A.W.
Yes
None
approx. $800.00

I got the Revolution X roller cam kit from Full Throttle. They say you can plug and play but I just had a problem with oil burning and had to pull the motor to put bigger stainless valves in cause the lift (.516) was too much for my stock valves. that could have been a circumstancial issue tho cause I had a lot of stuff done to the motor at once before I put it back in. Mine has a duration of 210/215 but they make one with a 205/210 like what you are looking for. The kit comes with shims, the cam, pushrods, roller lifters, and I used lithium grease to install
HTH
-Andrew

Had a lifter tick and today she finally gave up the ghost today. Sounds like a sewing machine and I can depress some the rockers into the lifter; with it running, 2 valve springs barely move.

TIA.

Flat cam- you ARE going to pull the motor and clean out the right way, yes?

It's be a waste to replace the cam in the car, only to have to pull the engine in a little while because of wiped bearings......

As for the kit, Bill Anderson has a killer cam, as does Full Throttle. Pretty easy install as mentioned. 210 to 214 is big enough IMO.

I got the Revolution X roller cam kit from Full Throttle. They say you can plug and play but I just had a problem with oil burning and had to pull the motor to put bigger stainless valves in cause the lift (.516) was too much for my stock valves. that could have been a circumstancial issue tho cause I had a lot of stuff done to the motor at once before I put it back in. Mine has a duration of 210/215 but they make one with a 205/210 like what you are looking for. The kit comes with shims, the cam, pushrods, roller lifters, and I used lithium grease to install
HTH
-Andrew

I have the same 210/215 from full throttle
had the machine shop install it when i got my girdle put on
i like it
but i also have big valve heads

With a 4.1

I would think that U should at least go 210/215, however dont be shocked if someone suggests the 215/220 to u since U have a 4.1. Im running the 210/215 and like the power. Its good enough for safe 10 second passes with the right supporting cast. Dont forget the rockers if U dont already have them. They are not a must but I would do it.

Well thanks guys.
But it looks like I'm NOT going to join the club:( .
I added it up and it too much for me to spend right now I think I will go with the flat tappet, that I will get cryo treated and fresh bearings all around .

I will save the roller for the pending project I have been accumulating parts for.
So far i have
4.1 291 block
steel crank
K1 rods

Would like to have:
Girdle
Forged pistons
Champion Irons
Weber Billet roller
BB turbo
have to wait a little more. Just another 5-6k $$$.:eek:

206/206 roller from JAck Cotten. I love it! Great cam with my 6776dbb turbo...but my back tires dont like it:eek: :cool:

I would call DLS, Dan is very good to work with, he is very honest, he has a very nice roller kit he developed. Just my 2 cents worth, forget the girdle, a steel crank with billet caps is all that is required. If you were using the stock crank, then use a girdle. Stock cranks flex, forged cranks will not flex.
Mike
86 GN

87gta turbo -what comp ht are you looking for in the forged pistons- i have a brand new set of 4.00" diamonds-8 to be exact -with a comp ht of 1.640" forged.

87gta turbo -what comp ht are you looking for in the forged pistons- i have a brand new set of 4.00" diamonds-8 to be exact -with a comp ht of 1.640" forged.

Cant right now.

Last week the washer machine crapped out this week the cam went flat.
I need to save money because I am gearing up for a job change next year and want to be financially stable if it dosesnt come thru.

I just ordered the Comp Cams 212/212 flat tappet and sending it to 300below for cyro treatment along with NOS AC lifters.
If I cant go roller I will at least try to stack the deck in my favor.

But thanks guys I was really really really close to making the purchase!

I would call DLS, Dan is very good to work with, he is very honest, he has a very nice roller kit he developed. Just my 2 cents worth, forget the girdle, a steel crank with billet caps is all that is required. If you were using the stock crank, then use a girdle. Stock cranks flex, forged cranks will not flex.
Mike
86 GN

What he said. DLS will set you up with everything. Info is in my sig.