You can type here any text you want

Reconditoning the stock Rods question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
I talked to the mach shop today and they want to bore out the small end of the connecting rod and put a bushing in there for the diamond piston wrist pins. Can someone please explain what they are talking about? I know that they want the new wrist pins to "float" inside the connecting rod, I just never heard of this with our motors. Is this common practice with the stock rods?
Thanks,

Chuck

That is common practice with pistons that use a "floating style" wrist pin. They are not pressed in like a stock pin but, held in with spirolocks that snap into the side of the pistons. You should be able to do regular press fit even if the piston is cut for the spirolocks. You just don't use the spriolocks.

Chuck,
They are probably talking about boring out the small end and inserting a brass bushing in it. I've seen it done a lot especially on small blocks. Never heard of it done on Buicks.

Its the prefered way to do it if you have a high end piston like you have.
You dont have to worry about setting the pin offset and it frees up a little of the friction loss too.

Thanks guys, I just never seen it mentioned on the boards, this machinist is really picky... I think I'm going to have a good motor when he is done with it.... so I'll tell him to go ahead and do it, he said that it would be better to go this way with the bushings.

Chuck

I'm running bushed stock rods with floating pins on JE pistons. LOTS of miles and never any problem.:D

Back