Red Neck Wrenching lifter preload

larrym

West Coast Newfy
So I had some noise in my new motor that is covered in another story.....
Before I pulled it I wanted to check my lifter preload, I have an adjustable push rod set it to zero lash brought it to my machinist with the pushrod I was using he measured and said it looks like .045 to me that's pretty much perfect from my understanding.

I wanted to double check a few more I had read on the board where someone was trying to figure out their preload without an adjustable pushrod, figured I would try it.

Here is what I did install 1 pushrod start all the bolts holding the rocker shaft get them finger tight with a little movement on the pushrod, slowly tighten the nut closest to the pushrod with your fingers until you get zerolash next tighten the nut fully and note how many turns, in my case 3/4 of a turn.
Now for the math the bolt is 18 threads per inch so 1 full turn 1/18=.0555555 next 3/4 of that so .055555*.75= .04166

Its not exact but it will give an idea of where you are at I was lucky to have the adjustable pushrod but I did not have the the tools to measure it.

or after you set the checker to zero lash you could have marked the rod tip and body of the adjuster tool , and then count the turn (or percent of turn ) to extend it to the length of rod you have
1 turn on the pushrod checker = .050" 1/2 turn =. 025 so its not hard to figure the preload of the rods you have