You can type here any text you want

Redid entire front suspension and have an issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnfanatic

Guys, just got back from the alignment shop after replacing the following

Upper and Lower Balljoints
Lower control arm bushings
UB Machine upper control arms
inner and outer tie rods
Idle arm
Center Link
New Steering box (correct one)
New steering shaft (jeep)

The guy who did the alignment first stated the alignment is done but my steering wheel is a tad crooked. Now I noticed when i turn the car I can only turn to the right 1 full rotation and the left almost 2 full rotations. what would cause this?????\

I would appreciate your help, Finding a good alignment shop in NY is pretty much impossible. :mad:

Sounds like the pitman arm is on wrong. The crooked wheel is on the alignment guy.

damn, I was worried about that. I thought the pitman arm when diconnected from centerlink spins freely round and round?

It can go on the gearbox 4 ways. by the sounds of it you will have to remove pitman arm and go counterclockwise with it 90 degrees. this will not effect the alignment. Dont tighten the nut all the way you may have to go the other way with it

Shouldn't the alignment shop caught the pitman arm problem and corrected it BEFORE completing the alignment of the front end?
Conrad

Shouldn't the alignment shop caught the pitman arm problem and corrected it BEFORE completing the alignment of the front end?
Conrad

Doing the caster camber sweep they should have noticed. Toe and go is what they probably did. Always get a print out of the alignment .Before and after specs.

It can go on the gearbox 4 ways. by the sounds of it you will have to remove pitman arm and go counterclockwise with it 90 degrees. this will not effect the alignment. Dont tighten the nut all the way you may have to go the other way with it

Before you even consider doing this center the box, not the wheel.

Do this by turning the wheel until you find the center of the turns total. Once this is done then look at the pitman and how many threads are showing on the tie rods.

This will tell you if the idiot that did the alignment is just that or you did something wrong. I'm betting on the idiot that did the alignment myself.:biggrin:

well, maybe I am an idiot. I didnt bring it back to the guy because I want to fix my steering issue first. My steering box when disconnected from centerlink turns 2.5 turns lock to lock. I cannot get the steering shaft on at 1.25 turns (center) due to the fact the steering shaft is not aligning with steering wheel shaft (when steering wheel is straight). As you know the steering shaft is not splined so there is no fine adjustments. What in gods name am I doing wrong?? Please help!

thanks!!!

Pull the horn cap from the steering wheel. There is a hash mark on the shaft and on the steering wheel. Check to make sure that these line up. If not R&R the steering wheel and line them up.

With the rag joint unbolted and slide off the steering box, the flat on the steering box input shaft should be parallel with the ground (level across). Then with the box centered the wheels/tires should be pointing straight forward.

By the sounds of the issue, not turning left/right equally, the center link may have been installed backwards. IOW, the tie rods are toward the front of the center link. Not behind it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you for your help. The INNER tie rods are BEHIND the centerlink like I have always seen it on other gbodys.So the flat spot on the steering box should be facing the ground with the wheels straight?? I will check the steering wheel alignment marks tom morning.

Thank you for your help. The INNER tie rods are BEHIND the centerlink like I have always seen it on other gbodys.So the flat spot on the steering box should be facing the ground with the wheels straight?? I will check the steering wheel alignment marks tom morning.

The flat on the steering box should be on top, level.

Center link & tie rods are correct then.

You may need to remove the steering wheel retaining nut to see the hash mark on the steering wheel. Can't recall.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Alright, I am losing my mind. I took the pitman arm and steering shaft off the steering box and turned the steering box midway and put back the pitman arm. The steering wheel is now crooked by by quite a bit. When I turn to the right I still only get 1 1/4 turns. SO I took off both front wheels and turned the car all the way to the right and I realized my caliper banjo bolt is hitting the lower control arm ( there is a piece of flat steel riveted to the lower control arm). I turn the wheel all the way to the left and the same thing happens with the driver side caliper bolt. I also realized the inner and outer tie rod on the driver side is roughly 1 inch longer then the one on the right!! sooo...

- Centerlink has been verified it is installed correctly.
- pitman arm has been installed correctly.
-driver side inner/.outer tie rod is 1 inch longer then the pass side.
- steering wheel is way crooked
-******* didnt do camber/caster on the vehicle. just toe and go

I am assuming the lack of a proper alignment is causing this issue??

BTW. I found the alignment mark on the steering wheel, there was also a little dot on the steering shaft where the steering wheel bolt threads are. is that the other alignment mark??

thanks!!!

right and left tierod assemblies should be the same length (well within a turn or two )
thats why the wheel isnt centered
loosen the adjuster sleeves and adjust the long one in and the short one out
turn one sleeve then turn the other side the same and repeat until the steering wheel is centered when you drive

but ill almost guarantee the caster camber isnt correct as the guy who did the work if he doesnt understand the tierod install i highly doubt he got anything else correct

And I gave him a $20 tip :rolleyes:

I am bringing it back tomorrow morning, will let you guys know

thanks!

BTW. I found the alignment mark on the steering wheel, there was also a little dot on the steering shaft where the steering wheel bolt threads are. is that the other alignment mark??

thanks!!!

The dot is most likely the hash mark.

I just checked and the stock '87 GN steering box is about 1-1/4 turns in each direction.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back