You can type here any text you want

Refresher..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Been many yrs since I've had a stocker.
When starting cold, both fans come on.....Where do I start to correct this?

I believe the 3 fan relays are on the driver inner fender.

I think I would look at the fans to see if the resistor is jumped.

Bryan

By both fans he means the heater fan too. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 3 relays for the single stock fan, low, high, and delay http://www.gnttype.org/maint/sensors.html see 22/23/24 Some folks run dual fans off these, there is a plug and play harness(Casper's maybe). Got a pic of your fan setup Chuck?

Last edited:
Damn! I feel like Rodney Dangerfield!.... The air freshener is already in place. I bought a Christmas tree hangup @ the truck stop, on the way home.:p
I know there's only 1 fan. I slipped the word "both" in, to see who was awake!:smuggrin:
If the resistor is jumped, the fan goes to hi all the time.
If the intake manifold sensor shorts to ground, the fan comes on at key on? [Not thru the ecm.]
If the relay is shorted, it comes on at key on?
The relay delay can be disconnected if it's toast.The chip is a Turbotweek. Don't think Eric sets it to use fans at cold start. Y/N
Haven't had time to go thru the wiring... Hell, the car is still on the trlr!
Hopefully, it's quit raining long enuf I can off load and get busy.:D

Thanks, all.(y)

Give the delay relay to your dogs to chew on.

Everything else is rigth except the relay shorting to activate the fan. They can't do that electrically.

If your fan is running at KOEO, it's most likely the POS delay relay or the car thinks the A/C is on. Or there's an aftermarket fan switch mounted inside the car grounding the grn/yel wire.

agreed. the ECM can't run the fan if the engine is off, its a limitation of the stock GM code in the ECM.

start unplugging things.

Bob

Out of curiosity, what does your temp read on the Scanmaster when you turn the key to on with the engine cold.

keep unplugging things. unplug the ECM next.

no "fan" switch installed anywhere?

the ECM cannot turn on the fan if the engine is not running. So, something is still stuck.

B

keep unplugging things. unplug the ECM next.

no "fan" switch installed anywhere?

the ECM cannot turn on the fan if the engine is not running. So, something is still stuck.

B
Bob, I found no hidden switch. I guess just unplugging the orange wire would be sufficient...Y/N

well, not really. if the ecm output is "broken" it is grounding the relay wire.

I would remove the ECM, and see if the fan still comes on.

Bob

Back