You can type here any text you want

Relocating pcv valve?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
My car is burning oil and it seems like its the pcv sucking it up and then putting it into the dog house.You can see the oil seaping out from the dog house to intake gasket.Has anyone tried relocating the pcv valve to one of the valve covers?Aliilte back ground on the car,i rebuilt the engine 3,000 miles ago,the exhaust guides were cut down and i put seals on them.Turbos new and no signs of the seals leaking.

What intake gasket did you use? The stock valley pan? Or the felpro 1200's? (If they even make these anymore?)

I used the felpro 1200 gaskets and I had to make a baffle for the bottom of the intake so the oil would not splash on it and get sucked through the pcv.

Even with the factory style valley pan gasket my car would suck some oil thru the pcv. You can do a search on this subject and find alot of different options.

mine is blocked off running two open breathers no more oil in dog house , or smoking .

I also used a pcv inline check valve. My stock pcv was letting boost enter the crankcase pressurizing it. Once I put the check valve in, it quit sucking oil too.

I havent tried blocking it yet.I was just thinking if i moved it to the valve cover it might help.I already have 2 breathers on it.Maybe i will remove it and just make sure it stops smoking.I just remember seeing at my local parts store a breather that has a pcv installed in it.I would think that it high enoungh it wouldnt suck oil.It doesnt seem to happen under boost,it seems worse when i just drive normal.I notice it the most sitting at a light idleing.

Or a oil catch can, I can't believe how much oil this thing traps . Keeps things nice And clean

Or a oil catch can, I can't believe how much oil this thing traps . Keeps things nice And clean

Just got done installing one on my GN. Will post up some pics tomorrow. Hopefully it will work, just changed out my plenum and had some oil sitting on the power plate.

Oily intake

When i replaced my stock dog house with a Hemco my intake had an oily coating around the throttle body near the vaccum block side. It's pulling from the PVC valve. I think i might engineer a catch can in order to trap the oil vapors.

Couple pics. I used a check valve between the vacuum block and the can so it isn't pressurized during boost. It is hidden behind the AC accumulator.

Attachments

• oilcan1.jpg
    oilcan1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 628
  • oilcan2.jpg
    oilcan2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 614
I made my own catch can from a Home Depot air oiler. I have about $40 total in it. Easy to make and works great. If you need the 411 I can post some pics.

Come to think of it, you might what to check the exhaust side of the turbo too. That's were mine was leaking, I had to drop the DP and let it run for about 20 mins then saw the oil seeping.

I've seen old threads where a few guys relocated it to the pass side valve cover where the factory turbo bell connection was. I had the same problem and replaced the pcv valve with a new correct delco unit and replaced the drivers side breather with a 45 degree angled metco breather/oil fill neck and it solved the problem. My next step would have been relocating the pcv to the valve cover.

oil catch can

Couple pics. I used a check valve between the vacuum block and the can so it isn't pressurized during boost. It is hidden behind the AC accumulator.

Hey Mark, Looks great.....can you tell me what make of catch can and where I can find one? Does it separate oil from air or just a can?

Interested to know how it's working for you, as I'm interested in doing something very similar.

Thanks,

dave

Attachments

• oilcan1.jpg
    oilcan1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 440
Mine I am using is just a can, have had it on the car for about 150 miles so no real results yet. thinking it should have some sort of "medium" to have something for the vapors to collect on. Was thinking about putting a stainless steel scrubby in it.:smile: Might be offering this as a kit but still in talks with the manufacturer.

Mine I am using is just a can, have had it on the car for about 150 miles so no real results yet. thinking it should have some sort of "medium" to have something for the vapors to collect on. Was thinking about putting a stainless steel scrubby in it.:smile: Might be offering this as a kit but still in talks with the manufacturer.

The can I have has no SS mesh in it, zero oil in the intake :).

I havent tried blocking it yet.I was just thinking if i moved it to the valve cover it might help.I already have 2 breathers on it.Maybe i will remove it and just make sure it stops smoking.I just remember seeing at my local parts store a breather that has a pcv installed in it.I would think that it high enoungh it wouldnt suck oil.It doesnt seem to happen under boost,it seems worse when i just drive normal.I notice it the most sitting at a light idleing.

Mike that is the same issue I am dealing with. The car smokes at idle after about 2 minutes of running.Does not smoke at all while normal driving or boosting.But come to a stop and she starts smoking! It is driving me crazy!!!! I will be adding a few breathers to the valve covers and getting rid of the pcv and see if that solves the problem.

Have you pulled the valve covers and checked to make sure the seals have not come off of the valve guides?* During break-in of my recent engine build I quickly developed big time smoke at idle (under vacuum) and found I had four of the six seals off the guides.* I replaced them with better quality seals and no smoke, so far.* If it does ever start smoking again, I know where to look for the problem. MLH

Back