You can type here any text you want

Relocating pcv valve?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Mike that is the same issue I am dealing with. The car smokes at idle after about 2 minutes of running.Does not smoke at all while normal driving or boosting.But come to a stop and she starts smoking! It is driving me crazy!!!! I will be adding a few breathers to the valve covers and getting rid of the pcv and see if that solves the problem.

Is the motor using oil?

IMO - dont run the car too long without a pcv, oil will turn gray...not a good thing.

I got a check valve from Cotton's! I havent installed it yet but was told it solves the problem. Ask for Jack and he will know what you need. I also have a catch can that I will leave on just because it's really cool and custom (aka expensive)

I used a water/oil seperator...small one from harborfright and made a check valve from home depot plumbing bin.. brass male and female 3/8 barb.. spring and ball bearing i found in my garage... about 20 bucks in all and it works

I used a water/oil seperator...small one from harborfright and made a check valve from home depot plumbing bin.. brass male and female 3/8 barb.. spring and ball bearing i found in my garage... about 20 bucks in all and it works

Yeah me too but all my stuff is from home depot. Forget those $80+ catch cans.

Mine too. I cant justify spending $80+ on something you can make yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 387
Is the motor using oil?

IMO - dont run the car too long without a pcv, oil will turn gray...not a good thing.

Running without the PCV valve really is no big deal. Oil will contaminate sooner and you may smell blowby fumes under the hood, but that's about it.

Crankcase evacuation is good, as long as it doesn't evacuate the oil and burn it in the motor. ;)

I haven't run a PCV valve on any of my turbo Buicks, in an effort to keep oil out of the intake and knock at a minimum.

The above ideas are good ones... so don't interpret my post as taking anything away from those ideas. I may actually consider them at some point myself... but in the meantime, my PCV is plugged off.

Got an opportunity to sell the catch cans I have on my GN but not sure if I want to come up with the $$$$$ necessary to make it worthwhile to buy a bunch of them. Were probably talking about $160 retail on these!:)

Mine will smoke randomly, its oil for sure, at times i will boost and no smoke, other times it will bury the car behind me. I will get the odd puff of smoke out from under the hood while coming up my street, no boost, but its a steep hill, i figured it may be the pcv valve as it would be in the oil on the hill. I plan on making a catch can system, as i have a ton of fittings and line kicking around and have always run them on my other turbo cars. Do you figure the random smoke in boost could also be the pressurizing of the crankcase.....

I had a previous turbo car, and i had built my first catch can system, but in my inexperience i had installed a cap on top instead of a filter, no venting, which really didn't help. The first couple of runs on the dyno we cleared the shop out with smoke....i thought the motor was gone, but i took the cap off and the next run there was no smoke at all. I'm wondering if i obsolete the PCV and run the venting system if that will solve my smoking issue.

If i'm going to smoke out the car behind me, i'd rather it be from the tires...lol

Well, for sh!ts and giggles today I pulled the cover off the catch can and with only 200 miles since installation looky here! :eek:

Attachments

• oilcanschmeg.jpg
    oilcanschmeg.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 269
Yep, they work great . This about 30 miles of driving with some 24psi blasts:biggrin:

Worth mentioning here... is the fact that the oil would have otherwise gone into the intake... and probably would have contributed to some knock problems. :wink:

pretty cool setup..

I also just toss my PCV valve in the trash, plug the whole and run dual breathers.

and its maintenance free

Back