Remove/ fill in GNX vents on '87 GN

Do the GNX vents actually lower the underhood temps? Or was that a simple styling item and marketing came up with the HP excuse?
Here in Phoenix,AZ. We try to do a lot to reduce the underhood temps. First thing I have done to all of mine is to remove the rear hood gasket on the drivers side. It makes a noticeable difference and is easy to put back when you sell the car. But I figured out quickly that if you want the A/C to work well, you have to leave the gasket on the passengers side to about 2 or 3" past where it sucks air from the bottom of the windshield.
Anyone have any ideas other than the fender vents? It gets to 115 here in the summer!
TIMINATOR
Yes, they worked.

But they're not the best place to put a vent. They just happened to fit with the Buick/Harley Earl side fender vent theme they've had off and on for 60 years.

However, removing that gasket at the base of the windshield is a terrible idea. That area is a high pressure zone when the car is moving. Remove that gasket and air pushes in from the windshield and stalls out the radiator.

I did the testing. On the subject of hood vents | Things I work on

I did my testing with a remote temp gauge under hood, around town, in 110+ temps. Your way is MUCH better!!!
As I said, around Phoenix on cruise nites was what my under hood temp goal was. My mistake! I saved the strip and will replace it asap!
I guess me and my magnahelic and manometer have work to do!
I have found lowering the front 2" helps the trap speeds. I've been thinking about a better chin spoiler than the one I have to lower the under car pressure, both for stability and cooling. I don't know what brand it is , but it has the cutout for ram air into the aircleaner box I'm building next. Thanks for the detailed tips!!!
TIMINATOR