You can type here any text you want

Removing roller rockers?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scojack_2001

Livin' Like A Refugee
Is there a certian way to do this? We tore down a 109 motor today and found it had roller rocker on it (SCORE!). We got everything off down to the heads but didnt want to mess with the adjuster nuts.

Is there a specific way to relief the spring tension, or do we just loosen the allen and take them off?? I'd like to get the heads off so I can check the bore. Cam looks to be non original as well.

Any help appreciated.

Scott

What allen? There should be three bolts through the shaft. I always loosen them a little on each one so as to remove the shaft evenly. Once you get them off be very careful to hold all the bolts & leave them in the shafts otherwise the rockers will slide & needle bearings may come out. Put nuts on them.

John

What allen? There should be three bolts through the shaft. I always loosen them a little on each one so as to remove the shaft evenly. Once you get them off be very careful to hold all the bolts & leave them in the shafts otherwise the rockers will slide & needle bearings may come out. Put nuts on them.

John

The engine has untouched M&A aluminum heads and 1.6 ratio roller rockers on them. NOT stock rocker arms and shafts.

Didnt want to just take them off and not relieve the pressure for fear of hurting something.

ScoJack, just knock the locknuts loose and loosen the allen headed adjuster screw...Then just remove.

You could probably just loosen the mounting bolts and the pressure will be gone before you get all the bolts out, but if you are worried about it then do as I described.

Are they not shaft mounted roller rockers?

No, these appear to be stud mount rocker arms. I did not see a shaft anywhere. This is the first set of aluminum Buick V6 heads Ive seen in person, so it's all new to me. The centerbolt valve covers were interesting too.

ScoJack, just knock the locknuts loose and loosen the allen headed adjuster screw...Then just remove.

You could probably just loosen the mounting bolts and the pressure will be gone before you get all the bolts out, but if you are worried about it then do as I described.

Thanks Collin. They do look pretty on top of the aluminum heads...:D The shortblock is going to the machine shop this week. Car was as described with a stock turbo and high stall TCI convertor. We think it has a solid lifter cam as well....:eek:

M&A heads

these heads are just like a sbc head. just loosen the locks and remove the rocker arm. if you have a stage 1 block you will have to take the guild plates off too, to get to the bolt underneath them. i can show you a pic if needed.

Back