You can type here any text you want

Replace or not to GN coil pack??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mark Parks

I changed the plugs in my 86 GN and also bought a new coil pack,and spark plug wires. Should I also replace the coil pack? The spark plug wires are the originals. When I took some of the wires off the coil pack a brown dust came out of the wires. I presume they are breaking down? The car runs fine.

In my opinion, there is not much sense in any new equipment gathering dust just waiting for the old one to break or quit functioning properly. Also, generally the spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil packs, & ignition modules deteriorate slowly over a period of time, and it is sometimes difficult to determine when are to the point that it would be beneficial to replace them. I would replace the coil pack as long as you have it and save the old one as an emergency spare. The reddish-brownish dust that gathers between the spark plug wire boot to the coil pack terminal was obviously not beneficial, and using some of GM's special die-electric grease will help reduce the possibility of that and make the plug and coil pack boots easier to remove when it is time.
HTH

In my opinion, there is not much sense in any new equipment gathering dust just waiting for the old one to break or quit functioning properly. Also, generally the spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil packs, & ignition modules deteriorate slowly over a period of time, and it is sometimes difficult to determine when are to the point that it would be beneficial to replace them. I would replace the coil pack as long as you have it and save the old one as an emergency spare. The reddish-brownish dust that gathers between the spark plug wire boot to the coil pack terminal was obviously not beneficial, and using some of GM's special die-electric grease will help reduce the possibility of that and make the plug and coil pack boots easier to remove when it is time.
HTH

A few exceptions :)

In my opinion, there is not much sense in any new equipment gathering dust just waiting for the old one to break or quit functioning properly....HTH

In general, I agree....Except for a spare, known good, MAF, Coil and Ignition and computer. I have successfully used those spare parts to trouble shoot my car and a half dozen other TR's on many occasions. These aging cars are not as reliable as they were and, frequently, drivability problems point only vaguely to the problem part(s) :)

Those spare, known good parts, used for troubleshooting have saved my friends and me a lot of wasted effort and expense chasing/solving drivability problems. It reduces down time too. :cool:

No flames intended here. :)
I changed the plugs in my 86 GN and also bought a new coil pack,and spark plug wires. Should I also replace the coil pack? The spark plug wires are the originals. When I took some of the wires off the coil pack a brown dust came out of the wires. I presume they are breaking down? The car runs fine.

I'm assuming you meant 'Ignition' the second time you mentioned 'coil'....Yes, I'd keep a known good one for those unscheduled emergencies. ;)

P.S. The dielectric grease Gary suggests will pay dividends next time you take the plug wires off. Big dividends!

In general, I agree....Except for a spare, known good, MAF, Coil and Ignition and computer. I have successfully used those spare parts to trouble shoot my car and a half dozen other TR's on many occasions. These aging cars are not as reliable as they were and, frequently, drivability problems point only vaguely to the problem part(s) :)

Those spare, known good parts, used for troubleshooting have saved my friends and me a lot of wasted effort and expense chasing/solving drivability problems. It reduces down time too. :cool:

No flames intended here. :)

I'm assuming you meant 'Ignition' the second time you mentioned 'coil'....Yes, I'd keep a known good one for those unscheduled emergencies. ;)

P.S. The dielectric grease Gary suggests will pay dividends next time you take the plug wires off. Big dividends!

I totally agree, Lee, excepting for poor "trailer park white trash" such as myself that cannot afford to have a new set of everything on the car and a new set of everything on the shelf in which case the next best thing would be a new set on the car and the old ones if they were known to be good as spares for yours and friends emergencies. Just a thought though, Lee. No flaming intended here, either, Lee. Actually, I am too old to remember how to flame come to think about it.

Back