You can type here any text you want

Replaced DS VC Gasket. Now Alternater Not Charging!?!?!?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I had to tug on a bunch of wires to remove Driver Side valve cover to replace the leaking gasket. Put it all back together and now alternator refused to charge. Took alternator off car and had it checked and it is fine. What did I do?
Conrad

There is a bunch of wires that are grounded on that bolt behind the passenger's side head. You may have pulled one or more loose. Get under the car with a flashlight and look up between the tranny dipstick and head.

You probably know this already. So, next step is maybe you pulled or shaken the "tickle" wire somewhere in the harness. The one that goes to the dash light. Anyone wan't to chime in?

Yeah you probably have a break in that wire somewhere near the all plug. Wires getting old and brittle on these cars. A simple fix is tap into the boost solenoid and run a new wire from that to the alt plug. That's a 12v ignition source. All the alt needs to charge. You will loose the factory volts light though.

So, the famous "Brown" wire is likely the problem? I don't see a "Boost" Solenoid wire in the schematic. Are you referring to the "Waste Gate" Solenoid? Of course, I don't see it either. FWIW, I have FAST and External (Manual) waste gate so that wire hasn't been used for years. I haven't been able to find it yet. Is it a 2 wire connector? Color?
Conrad
ps...starting to think I have a Volt Booster problem since power for the brown wire comes from the Volt Booster.

Check the brown wire before volt booster for 12v, if its ok yep booster. If not check socket in cluster or use waistegate wire. I don't have a volt booster or FAST so yep your wiring maybe different than a stocker. All the alt needs to charge is 12 at key on.

Back