You can type here any text you want

Replacing PowerMaster Reservoir

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Royal-T-Ltd

...my reservoir has a hairline crack and was wondering if i would have to bleed the entire system IF i turned the key to "ON" to prime the pump/system... than removed the old reservoir, replaced with the new one and refilled..... maybe just being lazy. but would it work.... theoretically the system would be full and have zero air right? As long as the system didnt cycle while i was attempting to switch reservoirs....maybe just thinking out loud.... LMK

You don't want to mess with anything on the P/M when the system is pumped up. Imagine 700psi spewing out at you???!!!! Turn the key off and pump the system down. Then replace the bowl.

If you just take out enough fluid to get to the bottom of the bowl, you should be able to change it out without bleeding at the wheels (just in thought off the top of my head). If you wnat to bleed them, it won't hurt just get new fluid to them. The high pressure side of the P/M can be bled of air by cycling the accumulator. No need for fancy tools there.

Z

You don't want to mess with anything on the P/M when the system is pumped up. Imagine 700psi spewing out at you???!!!! Turn the key off and pump the system down. Then replace the bowl.

If you just take out enough fluid to get to the bottom of the bowl, you should be able to change it out without bleeding at the wheels (just in thought off the top of my head). If you wnat to bleed them, it won't hurt just get new fluid to them. The high pressure side of the P/M can be bled of air by cycling the accumulator. No need for fancy tools there.

Z

thanx for the response.... figured you would know something... i almost PMed you before i posted... :D - the system has good clean fluid and the only reason i need to change the reservoir is b/c it has a damn leak.....besides that runs good. thanx again. - Aaron

Not a problem my friend.
Let me know if there is anything else you need.
PM or email works either way.
I am online at home now.

I've rebuilt may PM's and replaced the reservoirs...not sure I'd want to try to replace it when the unit is on the car...the nipples on the bottom of the reservoir fit extremely tight into the rubber grommets...getting it off probably wouldn't be that bad using a big screwdriver but putting it back on could be a PITA...the right way to do it is lay the reservoir on the ground upside down...put the grommets in the MC holes...then kind of roll from an angle and press the MC into place...I've had to put some of my body weight into it to get it in...

MSDGN said:
...the nipples on the bottom of the reservoir fit extremely tight into the rubber grommets...getting it off probably wouldn't be that bad using a big screwdriver but putting it back on could be a PITA...the right way to do it is lay the reservoir on the ground upside down...

Good point I had forgotten about.
Royal this is something you ought to consider.
You don't want to mess up your good bowl.

Good point I had forgotten about.
Royal this is something you ought to consider.
You don't want to mess up your good bowl.

welllllllllll.... that sucks:mad: . guess i ought to get to re-reading your post on bleeding down a powermaster unit....;) :biggrin:

The procedure I mentioned for replacing the reservoir comes right out of the shop manual...the other thing you have to consider is if you do this on the car you take the chance of flinging brake fluid and I have first hand experience of what it does to paint..:frown:...for any repairs on the PM other than replacing the accum or brake switch the unit comes off the car...it's really not that difficult to get off...but you would have to bench bleed the MC...I just do that on the car with a bench bleed kit I got from the HELP section at local auto parts...around $6 for the kit...

The procedure I mentioned for replacing the reservoir comes right out of the shop manual...the other thing you have to consider is if you do this on the car you take the chance of flinging brake fluid and I have first hand experience of what it does to paint..:frown:...for any repairs on the PM other than replacing the accum or brake switch the unit comes off the car...it's really not that difficult to get off...but you would have to bench bleed the MC...I just do that on the car with a bench bleed kit I got from the HELP section at local auto parts...around $6 for the kit...

thanx...... i guess i will look for that next time i visit "the zone":biggrin:

Royal-T-Ltd,
I just did this on my GN, piece of cake. Covered the entire engine bay and surrounding area to guard against any spillage. pumped the pedal 10 times with key off. Took a turkey baster, sucked out the old fluid. Pryed off the reservoir, replaced the rubber grommets, popped on the new reservoir, refilled and checked for leaks. I also cycled the accumulator a couple of times. Whole procedure took 30 minutes.

Matt

Back