Replacing pressure switch on powermaster - questions

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
1. I am replacing the pressure switch on my powermaster. Do I need to do the "pump the pedal until it gets hard" and relieve the pressure out of the system before I do this?

(sorry if it sounds silly, just never have messed with a PM before)

2. The new pressure switch I received says on the box part number 18018141. However the new switch is black. Wasn't it the black ones that were known for issues that led to the late 80's/early 90's recall on switches? Are the new ones you can buy now the grey ones? Or were grey the only ones used for the recall?

Here's a pic:
pressureswitch.jpg

Looks like u have the original style switch.

I would call the place where u bought it and exchange it for the updated grey switch.

Frank

I just put one on my GN two weeks ago. It is gray, not black.

Paid 89 bucks or so from Kirban's for it.

Looks like u have the original style switch.

I would call the place where u bought it and exchange it for the updated grey switch.

Frank

I did, it was gbodyparts.....they said they'd send out a new one. I never received it.

how much was that pressure switch? and where did u get it ? thx Lou.

It was at a Cadillac dealer ship over 100 miles away. I paid a pretty penny for it....almost $200.

I just put one on my GN two weeks ago. It is gray, not black.

Paid 89 bucks or so from Kirban's for it.

You lucky dog! Of course I saw one go for $66 on ebay! :eek: eBay Motors: Buick Grand National Powermaster brake switch (NOS) (item 320219620842 end time Feb-25-08 15:38:34 PST)

Actually Brian I never did get your replacement switch, if it was sent. Remember I moved out of NC about a week after I came to your shop. I ended up having to drive to Charlotte (it was closer) to get one just to make the trip to MO. (have a receipt for it)

Now I am just trying to recoup a little bit of the money. Never would I jip you or anyone else.

Actually Brian I never did get your replacement switch. Remember I moved out of NC about a week after I came to your shop. I ended up having to drive to Charlotte to get one just to make the trip to MO. Now I am just trying to recoup a little bit of the money. Never would I jip you or anyone else.

Neither would we. I had Eric Fisher (turbofish38) send you the correct 1. Direct from GM.
You did Jip me by not contacting me. So what happened to the 1 we sent?
No forwarding address? If it was returned we would have been credited thru GM.
You just said oh well I'll buy a new 1?
You bitched about the unit but have no problem representing how much it is worth huh?:rolleyes:
This is why I hate the business. Not just you but this crap has been so out of hand it isn't funny.

What address did you send it to?

I informed USPS before 2/25 to forward all mail to a temporary P.O. box address. We have received hardly any mail to begin with, and I am going to talk to the post office tomorrow to find out why.

How did I jip you? I paid $155 for something I really can't even use, unless I were building a show rig (which I am not). Last I heard you said you'd send me a new one....well I waited a few days and saw nothing, figured you forgot with your hectic schedule, and I needed it like yesterday so I went to plan B.

You now claim you sent me one but I don't have it. I wasn't going to mail it back and never receive a new one and then be totally out of my money, and I would have traded it person, but I did not have the time to pursue the issue due to my recent move, and chalked it up as a $155 mistake on my behalf for not knowing the wrong switch was in the box. (I'm surprised YOU as more of an expert than I didn't catch this)

Trust me I did not want to have to drive 100 + miles to buy a new one but were you really hoping I was going to chance driving 1000 + miles with a leaky pressure switch, thru the mountains, in snowy weather? I did what I had to do, I was very pushed for time and Charlotte was the closest place with one on hand.

Now if I do end up getting the one you sent I'll either re-send it or pay you for it, or send in my old one (if it doesn't sell), whichever happens first.

But as God is my witness, I have no replacement switch, and I am still out of $155.

I'm out the cost of sending you another unit. Then watching a impossible to find unit sell for $70+.
If you had time to put it on e-bay you had time to e-mail me.
I'll get a hold of GM & see where it was delivered. Then pay shipping to get it back here.

Brian, first off do not belittle me before all the facts are known. God would have struck me dead already if I were lying to you.

I moved out of my old house 2-25-08. I was renting and my land lord was not able to come inspect the house before we turned over the keys.

So I call my landlord to ask how she thought the house looked. She mentioned she found a DHL package on my door step 2 days later, and it was from Florida. She said she'd send it to me, and that was over 2 weeks ago.

I wasn't expecting a package, as I usually buy on ebay but I haven't done so here in the past few weeks. In fact I was expecting your switch, and I was thinking it would have came by USPS.

Anyways I shot turbofish38 a message, here's my message:

Hello Eric.

Brian Weaver, over at gbodyparts.com claims he had you send me a brand new powermaster brake pressure switch. This would have happened around Feb 22nd or so.

The reason for this is because Mr. Weaver happened to sell me an incorrect switch. He sold me what appears to be one of the original black switches that somehow managed to slip thru the cracks all these years. I asked Mr. Weaver if he could mail out a replacement grey one and in turn I'd send back the black one. I did this because I was moving at the time and needed to have my car ready for the road.

If the switch was sent, I never did receive the part. My former address was 202 Wapiti Dr. in Spring Lake NC, 28390.

To make a long story short, I was moving and ended up having to drive to a dealer that was closer than gbodyparts, just to buy the correct switch to make the 1000 mile trip west with the car.

Of course now Mr. Weaver and I are in a dispute in which he seems to think I received the part but I know for sure I have nothing.

Is there any way you can check to see if the part ever shipped out? Or was it returned to sender? (we told the US postal service to forward all mail)

Thanks Eric for your cooperation in this matter.

And here's his reply:

Hello, Yeah the part was shipped out on 2-25 to your old address by DHL. We dont use USPS because it's kind of a PITA sometimes. The DHL tracking number is 68568698343 and they show it was delivered on 2-27. If there is anyway you can get ahold of that part and ship it back to Brian that would help in this situation. I'm staying out of it as I know these types of threads can get nasty. I hope you and Brian get this worked out.

Eric

Remember I moved 2-25, I think I was at your shop on Sat Feb 16th? And I called a few days later and mentioned the issue about the switch. I think I was expecting it to show up Tues or Wed, but not the following Wed. I had no idea it was coming from GM. I thought you said you had one in stock, so I was expecting to see one in my mail box in 2 days, maybe 3. And I damn sure wasn't going to risk shipping mine back before a replacement came and risk losing everything. I'm sure you can understand that.

So anyways I call my old land lord back, turns out she never shipped me the package, so I told her I had an angry man on my ass and I needed it asap. She said she'd send it out today. We will see.

So now I am presuming this mysterious DHL package from Florida is the switch.

Also the black switch I have DID NOT sell, and I am not going to re list it now that I am aware of what is going on. In fact it will be coming back to you as soon as I can confirm what's in the DHL package. Or I'll pay you the cost of the new switch when I get it. And you can bet on that.

Unless you have to have everything original, go with the 84 & 85 hydroboost for just a few $ more.

Powerbrakebob is the guy to contact.

Unless you have to have everything original, go with the 84 & 85 hydroboost for just a few $ more.

Thanks, I actually plan to when I can manage to get some money saved up. But for now I am stuck with the lousy power crapper brake system. I really am not fond of it.