Replicating original battery and A/C accumulator/drier

kna4977

Bored so I thought I would try to replicate the original battery since my current one gave up the ghost and I had some decals laying around waiting for the right time.

Also a few years back I repaired and converted to 134a my A/C system so it would work due to a compressor shaft seal leak. Frustrated that the new A/C accumulator/drier for one didn’t come in black like original but also the top while the same shape as original depending on which you get, isn’t textured. So I decided to try and duplicate the original. See attached pics. Also including the battery I started with as well as some pics I found on here of an original battery. When I get bored again I may try and shave off the battery wings for the handle so it looks as close as possible to the original.

0A14C282-0723-43EC-934E-B1383D7857AA.jpeg
C7E0F6E0-37D0-4706-9058-E84D3A2F59E1.jpeg
5CD44C71-AF52-4A73-A565-F9A3095140BE.jpeg
9655205E-1CD5-4CA0-B6CC-23F1F94D7904.jpeg
9B5D3858-3CA8-4077-B60E-FF083DD9B443.jpeg

KNA,
A couple notes:

The Delco Freedom battery in your pic looks similar to some decals that someone here on the board had for sale a few years ago. I will do a little searching to see if I can find the listing. It had the green eye and label as I remember it.
  1. What is it that gets the A/C accumulator/drier so often replaced? I have owned a number of low mile Turbo Regals over the years and all but one had it replaced before me. What causes the failures?
Bob

Except for the green eye these are the decals from Jan Larsson. When the compressor fails it can send shrapnel through the lines. If you don’t replace the drier some of that shrapnel that may be trapped in the drier can take out your new compressor.

That's the guy. I bought set from him back then - nice work. I thought about a lot of simulated OEM and replacement & custom stuff for my project car. Bought these but never used them - they must be around here someplace?!?#!:censored:

One of my ideas for the drier was to scuff up its bare metal replacement then shoot it with metal etch primer followed by a spatter paint (like interior trunk coating) and top off in black. It never happened as I came across some aluminum IC & intake tubes + chrome parts and decided to polish the under hood bare metal (drier included).

Thanks for the drier failure info. I had been told desiccant could break or clog.

It would be great if someone did reproduce the decals again!!!
kna4977 , if you get bored again .... it wouldn't hurt to get a printing shop to make a bunch of copies of the decals! As I'm sure there would be several board members interested ;)