Representin for Rice

Went to some midnight drags at Cordova, IL last summer. That's right over the river from Iowa. I saw a couple fast turbo regals from Iowa, not sure where, low eleven, high ten second cars. Also saw a couple real fast GN's from the Chicago area there. Watch out. Most people don't know what they're messing with.

Cool, I look forward to meeting some of you guys and getting a chance to race. Please let me know when you guys will be coming up or around the area this spring/summer.

Fireplug looks like a very clean car you have. Most of us are huge GN nuts here but a lot of us have other toys to. 68 400 firebird, 79 ta, 87 monte carlo ss, and 2 crewcab dually here lol. We see a lot of ricers all the time with no clue about real power out there. From the looks of it your off to a GOOD start. The car looks sweet and its clean with no stickers all over it like a teenager has;) Keep it that way, some of the most fun there is out there is to walk soft and tote a BIG stick! Watch out for gns and t-types when you play out there as you can't tell a 13sec car from a 10 second car buy looking at the outside! Thats part of the fun of these cars. Have fun and stay safe Daniel

Again, thanks for the compliments.
Originally posted by need boost
Keep it that way, some of the most fun there is out there is to walk soft and tote a BIG stick!
That's the goal I'm hoping to accomplish. I hope the new 50mm over fenders in the rear don't give it too much of an aggressive look to ruin the sleeper factor.

nice car. I would love to race you but your too far away. but I realy dont think that I would be seeing your tail lights. My times are 12.06 at 117 through the trap with second and third gear slipping all the way down the track. With my tranny getting worse it might be a fair race.

Originally posted by Ash
nice car. I would love to race you but your too far away. but I realy dont think that I would be seeing your tail lights. My times are 12.06 at 117 through the trap with second and third gear slipping all the way down the track. With my tranny getting worse it might be a fair race.

Whatever floats your boat man, I'll be putting down easy 125+ traps....I'm pretty sure I'll be no where near a 12 second or high 11 second car...It'll be much faster than that by far. Get the tranny fixed and we can meet up this summer...

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that you're in California, it's not even worth meeting somewhere...way too far.

Very nice car!

240's were always one of my favorites, and are absolutly awesome for drifting/Drag Racing here in the states. Spend some time in Japan and you'll know what I mean when I say drifting. No one can compare with those boys over there, death is calling their names:eek:

As for you, please don't be like the rest of the ricer scene, make a name for your self. This is what seperates the men from the boys and any racing scene, maturity and respect for all car enthusiast goes along way, as you can see from this board. The fellas on Turbobuick.com have been around for along time, I for one have learned allot from them as well as non member of the board who visit periodically. Just be your self and seek self improvement, I can already see your not like the rest.

Ohhhhh! Watch out for those Buicks, there nasty;)

Ray

Originally posted by Fireplug
Whatever floats your boat man, I'll be putting down easy 125+ traps....I'm pretty sure I'll be no where near a 12 second or high 11 second car...It'll be much faster than that by far. Get the tranny fixed and we can meet up this summer...

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that you're in California, it's not even worth meeting somewhere...way too far.

When do you get your car running again?

I know SR20's are fast, but 11sec's is fast dude, real fast.

Traction will be your killer. Thats about it.

Regardless if you're faster, you sure spent a lot more money than these guys. I looked at your mods, and theres no way that can be cheaper than 2-3k. The turbo alone must have been 600+.

Post times, and people will respect you, but dont go spitting out paper charts and graphs.

I have no times, so I have no real respect behind me, so I dont just challenge people. These Buick guys have been here 17yrs longer than you have, so they know a lot more than you'll ever think you know, and thats a fact.

When do you get your car running again?

The car isn't going to be running again until sometime this spring/summer. Then the motor has to be properly broken in for 1000 miles or so...after that it's going straight to the dyno to get tuned and get some real #'s.

Regardless if you're faster, you sure spent a lot more money than these guys. I looked at your mods, and theres no way that can be cheaper than 2-3k. The turbo alone must have been 600+.

Let me start by saying that I never claimed I was faster than anyone on this board. Next, I did spend a good amount of money on my car all around. This vehicle isn't strictly for straight line use, the car has virtually zero body roll because a good amount of the money is put into the suspension alone. Same with the brakes, etc. I could have done a million different things to go faster for way cheaper with this car but I didn't becuase I want top-notch performance out of everything, the stopping, the cornering, the acceration, etc. Some people can't afford V8 or Turbo V6. When I was 16 I looked at getting an '86 vette...but I couldn't because insurance was going to kill me...This is a very affordable alternative for me, it's a light, rwd car that has tons of potential, and it's affordable insurance wise...so I got it.

Post times, and people will respect you, but dont go spitting out paper charts and graphs.

That fine, you'll get your times and dyno #'s when the time comes. You have to realize that I'm not just spitting b.s. all over. I'm realistically looking at similar 240sx setups (240sx's that are putting down 500+whp) based off of my own mods (which are heavier then theirs...)I think that's a pretty safe assumption. I could be wrong but it really doesn't bother me.

I have no times, so I have no real respect behind me, so I dont just challenge people. These Buick guys have been here 17yrs longer than you have, so they know a lot more than you'll ever think you know, and thats a fact.

Not really sure if you have a point here, but that's fine. I'm just trying to meet new people and have some fun races. I'm really not trying to achieve the status of being the next Einstein..."and that's a fact"

Guys come on! He seems like a pretty cool fellow and he is interested in turbo buicks so give him a break. I know a lot of you guys are pure gn nuts and thats cool but I remember being in my teens to with the cost of insurance sheeeesh! They ate my lunch and I had a 79 trans am then as well. The fact that he would like to meet some of us flatters me myself! Before I got my t-type I went to the bop days at renolds with my 68 firebird and the gn guys seemed snooty to me. NOT all but most did and I said then I would NEVER be like that when I got one of my own! Fireplug I would enjoy meeting you myself if I was closer but georgia is a long way from you lol. Any one that puts a ton of his time and money into a car gets my respect [ as long as you don't pay someone to do it all for you] no matter how fast or slow it is, its hard work as I have been there myself and its HARD work doing it in a driveway or the back yard. Thank God I finally have a shop and I mean a SHOP its 30 by 50 and I love it!!!!!! I wish you the best of luck on your car build and if you get the chance ride in one of these buicks! Will blow your mind a brick can be that fast!! lol. Take care Daniel

The car isn't going to be running again until sometime this spring/summer. Then the motor has to be properly broken in for 1000 miles or so...after that it's going straight to the dyno to get tuned and get some real #'s.

Let me start by saying that I never claimed I was faster than anyone on this board. Next, I did spend a good amount of money on my car all around. This vehicle isn't strictly for straight line use, the car has virtually zero body roll because a good amount of the money is put into the suspension alone. Same with the brakes, etc. I could have done a million different things to go faster for way cheaper with this car but I didn't becuase I want top-notch performance out of everything, the stopping, the cornering, the acceration, etc. Some people can't afford V8 or Turbo V6. When I was 16 I looked at getting an '86 vette...but I couldn't because insurance was going to kill me...This is a very affordable alternative for me, it's a light, rwd car that has tons of potential, and it's affordable insurance wise...so I got it.

That fine, you'll get your times and dyno #'s when the time comes. You have to realize that I'm not just spitting b.s. all over. I'm realistically looking at similar 240sx setups (240sx's that are putting down 500+whp) based off of my own mods (which are heavier then theirs...)I think that's a pretty safe assumption. I could be wrong but it really doesn't bother me.

Not really sure if you have a point here, but that's fine. I'm just trying to meet new people and have some fun races. I'm really not trying to achieve the status of being the next Einstein..."and that's a fact"

I wasnt trying to be rude. I just want to say that first off.

I personally anticipate your results and hope to see you post them up here. I was huge into 240's a year or so ago, and really would like to see a nicely done SR.

I can believe you say you're going to hit 500+rwhp. A 63trim turbo on our cars puts out almost 400+(?)hp if it has the supporting mods. So I bet on your car with all your work it can reach far higher. I'm just saying theres one thing on a dyno, and another thing on the street. Supra comes to mind when I say that. Theres 1000+rwhp supras that run 10's. Thats just sad.

The only reason I took you thinking you were faster than someone was because I must have misinterpreted your post. My bad.

Really nice car Fireplug, but how do you expect it to go fast when you don't have the big wing in the back, you have no stickers, no fart-can, I mean what were you thinking?!... LOL! Just having a little fun with you, I think you are going about it in the right way, keep up the good work! Maybe someday we can see a video of it in action. Good luck with it, much respect! GNflyby. :)

Originally posted by GNflyby
Really nice car Fireplug, but how do you expect it to go fast when you don't have the big wing in the back, you have no stickers, no fart-can, I mean what were you thinking?!... LOL! Just having a little fun with you, I think you are going about it in the right way, keep up the good work! Maybe someday we can see a video of it in action. Good luck with it, much respect! GNflyby. :)

Unfortunately I've been told by various sources that I will be needing a wing on my car for downforce b/c it's so light....I don't know what to do.:( And I'll be sure to post up video of how it does at the track/dyno for sure. Things are moving along slowly but surely. Waiting on a pair of aftermarket axles that I ordered a while ago. I'm also trying to figure out the rear wheel/tire combo...I think I'm going to run a Bogart Flystar 15x9 with a pair of MT ET streets 26x10.5-15...But I don't know what the proper backspacing I need to be able to keep the tire within the stock dimensions of the fenders for now...:mad: :mad:

A 240 owner that isn't a drifting fanboy?? BS! :D

Nice car, most 240 owners will never move the SR20DET out of their "future mods" list and into their "current mods" list.

lol, I'm sick of 240's being known for drift b.s. I had my setup posted on a different board and got eaten alive...one of the comments was, "The 240 sucks at drag racing, a drifting car will never be a drag racing car...If you want a car to drag race go buy a light civic or maybe an '89 Foxbody." Ironically this came from a Civic owner. :rolleyes: But really, I don't see the point in bouncing your car off of its rev limiter repetitively while sliding around a track...I prefer the thrill of speed. :)

Unfortunately I've been told by various sources that I will be needing a wing on my car for downforce b/c it's so light....I don't know what to do.:(

Here's what you do:
look at them and slowly shake your head at their sad ignorance.

As an aerospace engineer I feel qualified to address this.

First, I'd be willing to bet that most if not all of your traction problems will occur below 60 mph (especially if you use slicks). A wing, even of the ridiculous size commonly seen, is of little to no value below at least 100 mph, and even at that speed will probably be making less than 100 lbs of downforce. Remember this is a square law thing, twice the speed equals 4X the downforce. All a large wing will accomplish is an unchanged ET, slower trap (extra drag becomes significant at high speeds), and looking stupid. . .

Simply put, a wing only works in the speed range you'd be better off without the drag it causes (100+ mph), and does nothing to help launching traction. Sounds like you already have a great start on the most important part of a good launch: suspension.

OBTW, awesome car you got, I hope someday mine look as nice:(

Unfortunately I've been told by various sources that I will be needing a wing on my car for downforce b/c it's so light....I don't know what to do.:(

Here's what you do:
look at them and slowly shake your head at their sad ignorance.

As an aerospace engineer I feel qualified to address this.

First, I'd be willing to bet that most if not all of your traction problems will occur below 60 mph (especially if you use slicks). A wing, even of the ridiculous size commonly seen, is of little to no value below at least 100 mph, and even at that speed will probably be making less than 100 lbs of downforce. Remember this is a square law thing, twice the speed equals 4X the downforce. All a large wing will accomplish is an unchanged ET, slower trap (extra drag becomes significant at high speeds), and looking stupid. . .

Simply put, a wing only works in the speed range you'd be better off without the drag it causes (100+ mph), and does nothing to help launching traction. Sounds like you already have a great start on the most important part of a good launch: suspension.

OBTW, awesome car you got, I hope someday mine look as nice:(

I didn't specify what I meant with the wing issue. I'm also going to be playing around on the highway a little bit every now and then...just didn't want it floating up and coming around on me...The thought of that just scares the crap out of me. I don't really plan on buying a wing for the car so maybe I'll just keep her under 100 until I'm at the track. :)