You can type here any text you want

Reproduction look-a-like Stock radio?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

StlRegal

Does anybody make reproduction radios, but with current technology. Thankfully my stock radio still works, but im sure its only a matter of time before it goes out. And the fancy aftermarket ones just scream steal me and f#*k up my dash or just take the whole car in the process. Low key is what im going for but id still like some quality. CD player definatly and preferably a Ipod plug in.

Lost of us go with an AM/FM/CD player from the mid/late 90s Blazers; works well, and looks factory. Also, it's a direct bolt in- just get a harness to connect the old and the new.

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 596
Cool thanks, Now that I think about it though. A Cassette palyer woudlnt be so bad since Ipods have a cassette type thing that goes into the cassette player and plays the songs on the Ipod.

What wrong with a aftermarket player? And with a proper installation kit it will look nice.

Almost 90% of the aftermarket radios have detachable faceplates.

Aftermarket radios have a much better sound quality vs. a stock radio.

Nothing, I like them, Im just seeing if i can get something just as good while being low profile.

What wrong with a aftermarket player? And with a proper installation kit it will look nice.

Almost 90% of the aftermarket radios have detachable faceplates.

Aftermarket radios have a much better sound quality vs. a stock radio.

Aftermarket units have a much better chance of getting ripped than an a factory style unit, and the detatchable faceplates are fairly easy to replace.

Better sound comes out of the speakers, not the radio.

do this

my t has a aftermarket cd/mp3 player FLUSH mounted and i took apart one of the crappy oem cassettes and made a cover when in place looks like a oem radio is in....

heres my radio flush mounted(not sticking out):eek:

Attachments

• 04-03-07_1755.jpg
    04-03-07_1755.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 04-03-07_1756.jpg
    04-03-07_1756.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 574
heres the old radio face ,just glue the knobs back on...

Attachments

• 04-03-07_1757.jpg
    04-03-07_1757.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 560
i used a carbaord circle same size as a cd to hold it in place

Attachments

• 04-03-07_1801.jpg
    04-03-07_1801.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 566
in place final look,sneeky,huh???!!!!

Attachments

• 04-03-07_1804.jpg
    04-03-07_1804.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 561
ahaha, wow thats clever, better hope that cardboard never comes in contact with the lens

not sure about other makes,but panasonic has a bit of clearence when theres no cd in the player.cardboard gives when it come in contact with the guides/loading switch,this is why i use it.been doing this trick for over ten years:biggrin:

when i do the "serious" system,this face will be motorized to automatically fold up into the dash each time i turn car on,then fold down when i turn car off.

That is awesome Gary.
Definitely super stealthy for sure.
I went the Kenwood cassette player route figuring not too many people who steal would want a cassette deck, much less have cassettes. ;)
But I'm loving that fold away stock face plate look. Really trick.

Patrick

and the detatchable faceplates are fairly easy to replace.

Easy? So you are saying if a theif got a hold of a deck without a faceplate he can easily replace it? You can probaly order one off a dealer and pay $$$ for it for that amount you can buy a new radio.

What I am trying to say is a deck without a faceplate is worthless.

This is what I have in my GN. It's a mask unit from kenwood. No longer avaialble.

Attachments

• DSC07243.jpg
    DSC07243.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 531
Cool thanks, Now that I think about it though. A Cassette palyer woudlnt be so bad since Ipods have a cassette type thing that goes into the cassette player and plays the songs on the Ipod.

I use something called the iCarPlay by Monster cable, works really well. Broadcasts through any channel on the FM band that your stereo can receive That might be a problem if you live in more urban areas though I guess. It's not much of a problem here in Alaska tho.

Any decent stereo theif will know the Kenwood is a real stereo and will rip it right out. Face plates aren't terribly hard to replace, often times you can find them on ebay. The only problem with stealing a stereo without a faceplate is that you don't know if it's a ****ty unit or not.

Back