Reputable Engine Rebuilders in NJ?

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
Any recommendations on engine rebuilders in NJ?

A friend of mine needs his stock short block rebuilt. Nothing wild (no girdle, forged pistons, cam or major head work), basically a mild stock rebuild.

He spun a bearing.. the motor has 150k on it. Fluids were clean, no smoke and intake valley was clean...

thanks,

Dan,

I've heard jack merkel who builds motors for ron is pretty good. I know he is featured in GM High Tech magazine in a three part series. He shows us in there the correct way to build the TR 3.8. Maybe your friend should give jack a call to see what he can do for him. I used to have the number to the shop somewhere around here.........I'll have to look for it.

Best of luck to your friend.

I'm sure Lee was just kidding, Pat Musi Charges about $20,000 to do a Motor, thats with YOU providing the motor!!!!!

Man, JM does some cool stuff. $1100 to port a set of heads isn't bad at all when you consider everything included. Too bad I don't need ported heads yet. :(

But I will some day! :D

I met a guy from Jersey that has a shop that works on Buicks. Sorry, I don't know where the shop is or a number, but I think he is on this board. His name is Ron Joseph. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable with these Turbo 6s.
Chris

Originally posted by 93 Indy
I met a guy from Jersey that has a shop that works on Buicks. Sorry, I don't know where the shop is or a number, but I think he is on this board. His name is Ron Joseph. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable with these Turbo 6s.
Chris

>>> Yeah I heard of him too. I echo your comments Chris.

I would take it to Ron and Jack Merkel. I have had work done on my GN by Ron and it is first class all the way. If I am going to get a rebuild, which I have been thinking about, it would be with them.

No, I was serious. Pat Musi did Joe Warner's engine ( a local Buick guy I know) and he speaks very highly of the work he received. He also said the price wasnt bad either. There is also Danny Smith in Camden. Dan, call me and we'll talk. I can also get you in touch with the guy that does my stuff.

Originally posted by wicked6
I would take it to Ron and Jack Merkel. I have had work done on my GN by Ron and it is first class all the way. If I am going to get a rebuild, which I have been thinking about, it would be with them.

>>> I think ron and jack now offer crate motors, which if you can throw it in yourself would help tremendously in your case when you decide to do the rebuild. Shouldn't bee too much cost wise to ship a completed top notch to you. Best of luck to you.

Gene,

Stupid question.....what and where is the Mondello porting school?

Thanks

Joe Mondello coached me on porting my Olds W30 heads back in 1970. But he never gave me a diploma. Rich if you call him ask him to send out my diploma ASAP. ;)

Originally posted by ULYCYC
Joe Mondello coached me on porting my Olds W30 heads back in 1970. But he never gave me a diploma. Rich if you call him ask him to send out my diploma ASAP. ;)

>>> Ed,

I will do that for ya. While I am at it I have to call myself to get my dipolma from APEX tech, ya know the older bald guy on TV promising the good life if I was willing to learn a trade. Well I didnt get too far past the initial orientation....lol. But at least I got to keep the free tools and tool box.

Thats cool.. Joe Mondello promised me a silver plated valve lapping suction tool and a crystal jar to keep keep my lapping compound in.

Gene,

Thanks for the clarification and you're right I wouldn't begin to even port my own heads for that fear that you stated with the water jackets.

I would certainly leave it to a professional like jack merkel for sure.

Thanks again,