You can type here any text you want

Results of coil cutting... Need opinions.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Welby

Well, I got both of my front coils cut (I cut out one full coil on each) and put everything back together, thinking "This looks awesome!". I took it for a ride to see how it acted, and to be honest with you, I noticed no change whatsoever from the stock ride. I chopped 3/4 out of the bumpstops since it would be a good bit lower. When I got back I noticed that my drivers side front was right at the top of the tire, exactly where I wanted them to be, but the passenger side is about 3/4" below the top of the tire. This is almost too low, IMO, and on one hard bump, it bottomed out slightly in the right front.
Was wondering, what would cause one side to be so much lower when I took out the exact same amount on each coil? Any helpful suggestions? I did try to make sure that the coils were properly seated at the bottom where they should be. Would a brand new coil isolator at the top on the right side help at all? Do they make thicker isolators?
I'm also considering cutting a slight amount (Maybe 1/3 coil) out of my left rear F-body coil, figuring if I get the left rear to pull down a little, it'll actually help bring the right front up. I'd much rather try to adjust it with the rear than to rip the front apart again.
Not many things drive me more nuts than a crooked car, it makes me insane :D

Here's a couple pics to show what I'm talking about.

Here's a before and after from the same side. I didn't measure, but it looks like at least 2", probably 2.5", if not more on the passenger side... Jeez.

Did you measure the distance between the fender lip and the center of all the wheels before you cut the coils?? If the back was level before you cut the front coils, dont mess with them, you'll have to go back and correct the front. I am personally trying to figure out how I want to go about lowering the front of my car right now. Looking to get 1 1/2" lower. I'm thinking of going with taller ball joints and 1" lowering springs. the problem is that I really dont know what the stock height is becuase I'm sure my springs are sagging. i just got done lowering my 05 Silverado that started of cricked 2 1/8 lower in the drivers rear as compared to the pass rear. It's been fun but i finally achieved a 3" front and 4" rear drop! Took a lot of tinkering but I finally got it! Just dont cut the rear springs!

Well, I'm pretty sure I solved the leaning problem, my right lower ball joint is busted. I've since removed the cut coils and installed some 2" S-10 lowering springs, and it was still crooked. After being stumped for awhile I decided to check the ball joints on that side, on a hunch. Yep, it collapsed a good 5/8" ...

So, I think I'm gonna replace the uppers and lowers on both sides while I'm in there and see where I stand after that. Figure it's good insurance If I'm gonna be blasting down a strip or flying down the highway with the wife and kiddo. Last thing I want is a front wheel falling to pieces at speed !!!

Any tips on doing the job? I just borrowed a really nice OTC ball joint press from the back shop at work, so I'm good there :D

Back