You can type here any text you want

Retorque Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNAT87

This could be a retarded post but...So Saturday I have a date with the car. My heads are in need of being retorqued since I saw a little oil coming from the deck. Car has heater box and Champion valve covers(taller than stock) I know the clearence is tight on the passenger side so how should I start? I dont expect the drivers side to be a problem. This will be the first time since the motor was built so im new to this. Ive got the torque specs on my papers that came with the GN1's. Just trying to get a plan of action before i tear into it. Looking for the easiest way...

I just re torqued mine.....went like this.

With engine cold.

Unhooked negative battery cable.

Carefully removed valve cover and rocker assembly. Careful with push rods so that they remain in the lifter seat.

Remove spark plug wires.

Remove headers, dipstick, bracket and push header away from heads.

Torque head bolts in sequence to 85ftlb (that's what I torque mine to), can't reach the rear left head bolt on the drivers side and the right rear passenger side (AC still in car) head bolt, because the intake gets in the way with the end of the Torque Wrench during re torquing of these two rear bolts. Just the 4 middle bolts needed to be re torqued on mine.

Carefully install and torque rocker assemblies. Make sure push rods are seated correctly while tightening rocker assembly back down.

Install headers.

Install plug wires.

Install valve covers.

Reconnect negative battery cable and you are done. :smile:

With an oil leak, try tightening the valvecover, first. The heads should not need retorquing. With Cometics, maybe.

I do have cometics. It's the driver side I thought at first it was the valve cover so I put a new gasket and it quit leaking but it's coming from the deck for sure too, I saw small bubbles. So to torque the heads you must pull the rockers and headers? Thank you both for the replies

Yup its the leaky cometics, You might want to throw in a few GM seal tabs after you retorque the head.

Forgot to mention that my HG's are RJC Stainless, the one's I just re torqued.

You can try to retorque them. If they still leak I'd look into changing the gasket. That's just me though.

Headers, turbo, valve covers, and rockers need to be removed to get the job done. If it was just water leaking, I'd throw some seal tabs in it.
Depending on how bad oil was leaking would determine changing the gaskets.

You are not supposed to torque aluminum heads to 85 ft lbs. That is too tight. 75 ft lbs on the top 4 bolts/studs and 65 ft lbs on the bottom 4.

didnt know my thread was up and running still...Oil leak isnt bad at all, but is this a sign of leaky cometics or a sign of it being out of the torque specs? Ive had trouble with these gaskets since day one. First it leaked coolant threw tabs in, sealed up and now a small amount of oil.

Back