Retorquing head gaskets...

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
When I retorque my head gaskets (stock GM with ARP bolts) should I: 1) break them loose and retorque, or 2) can I just place the torque wrench on the bolt and check torque that way?

I've already checked bolt torque via #2 above. That was just after cam break-in and approx 15-30 minutes idle time. I'm pretty sure that's the way I need to do it... but, I'm just checking to be 100% sure.

Thanks,
-Banning.

With composition style gaskets retorquing shouldn't be required. If them move you have something else wrong.

I really don't recommend retorque either. I have done it in the past, but never have found one loose.

Stock type shouldn't require re-torque.

Performance type does require it.

One at a time, following the correct sequence, break it loose till it spins by hand then take it all the way up to the final torque number. Each one and in the correct sequence.

I definitely would not recommend breaking the bolts loose and re-torquing them with stock type gaskets. I re-checked the torque on mine after a few heat cycles and they were fine, so I wouldn't bother with that either...

Thanks for the replies. I had checked the torque and they were all ok. Ok boost... here I come!!!

Thanks again,
-Banning.

yea turn er up..it will shock you how good it will run but keep me posted if anything strang happens..;)