You can type here any text you want

reuse rings or new?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOTIMMER

I took my rotating assembly to my local machine shop to have the stock rods pressed off, and a rebalance with my new forged rods. Today, i went to check on my stuff and they removed all the rings and threw them in a box all together. :mad: I was told that I could reuse them as long as they went back in the same holes. Well, now what? I know its only another $100, but it took like 3k miles for it to stop smelling like burning oil. BTW, I'm running wiseco pistons.

I'd be pist. I'd pay them thier bill minus $100, hone the block myself, and file fit the new rings. I might deduct more that $100 because I'm sure they have a fee for file fitting rings and honing blocks as well. WTF were they thinking?

Anyway to answer your question you have to use new rings now.

Do not reuse them. I used plasma moly and my rings seated almost instantly.

Your rings should seat in under 50 miles. You need Boost to seat them properly no easy driving without boost or they seal like yours did. Get new ones & break them in properly. Also Slap the guy that took them off & deduct the $100.

Altho, maybe he did you a favour as yours took 3K to seal then something was Wrong anyways.

How will new rings act on the cylinders? Seems like new rings should get a new finish to work with.

Thanks guys for all your input. Looks like new rings and a hone. PITA.

Tim

Hey Tim who you using for the machine work? I would not re use the rings... if the block is already at the machine shop id also just have them do the hone work save your self some time.

Hey Tim who you using for the machine work? I would not re use the rings... if the block is already at the machine shop id also just have them do the hone work save your self some time.

SMO is the name of the place. Small machine shop over here on the western side of the state. I talked to them yesterday. They already honed the block. Chalk this up to a little miscommunication on both our parts. They actually do very good work, but you gotta give them real specific instructions, or it'll be thrown together like a small block chevy. When I dropped it off, they asked me if I wanted "extra clearance" in the mains and rods because I'm racing it.:eek:

what is the proper way to break in new rings/everyhting

BOOST and drive it like you stole it. I was told to put some boost to it right away, and the rings would seat pretty quickly. I did that, but it still seemed to smell like burning oil for most of last year.

haha I know the feeling all to well with miscommunication and machine shops....

One of my good friends lives in Trent right by the state park probably about a hour from you thats why I asked who you where using :D You might know him Jay Wood he is into turbo mustangs....

Back