RIP Indian Larry....

R.I.P. Larry!!!!!

I was at the show when it happened. I was inside the building when he crashed voting for his bike on the Biker Buildoff. Most all of his bikes were there from the Discover Channel episodes. His bike entered had a frame and springer front end made of chain links welded together. The guy was one of a kind and had some major talent!!!! He will be missed!!!

Russ

R.I.P.

I was supposed to be there, but had to be at work!!:(

The event center is just up the road a few miles from the house.

I know many, many fans will miss his work. He was one of the last "old school" builders.

K.

Man that sucks. I saw him at Daytona Bike Week. He was a pretty cool down to Earth guy.(no pun intended)

'Indian Larry' dies after stunt in Cabarrus

Staff Reports

Indian Larry, a master motorcycle mechanic and stunt man, passed away this morning following an accident while performing Saturday at the Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series show at Cabarrus Arena and Events Center in Concord. He was best known for his appearances on Discovery Channel's "Great Biker Build-Off" show.

"He was riding and standing up on his seat," said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy county manager. "The bike started to wobble and he was not able to regain control."

Indian Larry fell off the bike before a crowd of about 8,000. He was not wearing a helmet. Paramedics were standing by and aided him until he could be airlifted to CMC, Downs said.

"Cabarrus County along with the staff at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center sends its sincere condolences to the family of Indian Larry," said Robert M. Freeman, chairman of the Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners. "Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor. He will be truly missed by his fans here in Cabarrus County and throughout the nation."

Indian Larry was best known for his eccentric nature, according to his official Web site. His résumé includes movie, video and television.

Man that sucks. I always wear a helmet while on the Harley, even though I have been to PA and they have no helmet law. Screw that, it only takes 1 fall the right way. Man that is beat. :( :(

Originally posted by njturbo
Man that sucks. I always wear a helmet while on the Harley, even though I have been to PA and they have no helmet law. Screw that, it only takes 1 fall the right way. Man that is beat. :( :(

Yeah down here you are also allowed to not wear a helmet and unfortunately most bike people take advantage of this stupid law (if you want to call it that)..... A couple weeks ago down here the one guy that runs with a local group of Mustang boys got in an accident with his bike (hit a tree from what I was told) and did not have a helmet.... He was lucky to survive, but he had to get reconsructive surgery on his face and I heard he had some memory loss problems caused by his brain being bruised:eek:

I don't wear my helmet like I should. I wish Fla. had a helmet law because it would MAKE me wear one. I know its stupid. Whats even more stupid is that you have to wear a seatbelt ...but no helmet? Crazy.

Here in NC they have a helmet law but... I like most H-D owners just wear a "skid-lid". They're illegal but the police don't mess with you.

Common sense tells you one thing but what's "fashion-able" is another. I know my wife is worried every time I leave the house, whether my 7 year-old daughter will grow up with a daddy or not.

It's too bad it takes an accident like this for most people to second guess and think about it!!:confused:

K.

Actually you have to have the required insurance to go helmetless in FLA. Here is a copy of the law.
Motorcycle Helmet Exemption
In an effort to answer questions our department has received regarding the motorcycle helmet exemption law, we provide the following information.

Who is eligible?
Only those individuals who are:
21 years of age or older and
covered by an insurance policy providing at least $10,000 in medical benefits

When did the law take effect?
The law went into effect on July 1, 2000.

What proof of insurance is required?
The department is advising law enforcement to accept a health insurance card (or actual policy or declarations page) from a HMO or Blue Cross/Blue Shield or some other recognized health insurance provider as proof. The card must show current insurance.

In addition, limited motorcycle medical coverage will also suffice. Contact your insurance carrier for more information. However, PIP coverage under a personal passenger vehicle policy would be insufficient for either the operator or passenger on the motorcycle.

Can I get pulled over by law enforcement just for not wearing a helmet?
Like Florida's seat belt law, our department has determined enforcement for this provision should be secondary. That is, an officer should not initiate a traffic stop only to determine insurance coverage.

However, law enforcement officer may stop a motorcycle operator or passenger riding without a helmet if the officer suspects the operator or rider is under 21. A law enforcement officer should not stop someone riding a motorcycle without a helmet only to check his or her age.
To read the department's legal opinion in its entirety, click here. You will need Acrobat reader to view.

The big kicker is most cops dont ask for proof of insurance when they pull a biker over and you know a lot of them dont have coverage. I wear a helmet most of the time when I ride and on the ocassions that I dont I am more inclined to ride in a more civil manner. No speeding or showing off. I've been riding for 28 years now and I have never had an accident so I would like to think experience and training are also key factors. Another kicker is FLA has a speciality license plate for MC's now and you would think the proceeds would go to something like a foundation for education into head injuries or something to benefit the victims of MC accidents but insted it goes to people with disabilties. Here is a link: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtytags/bikeplate.html
Of course this doesn't help Indian Larry. Maybe the next time they do a biker build off the producers should require the builders to make matching helmets and wear them. How many times have we seen Jesse James doing something stupid on a MC?

Originally posted by Anthony K

"He was riding and standing up on his seat," said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy county manager. "The bike started to wobble and he was not able to regain control."

Indian Larry fell off the bike before a crowd of about 8,000. He was not wearing a helmet.

He died happy, doing what he loved... the way he wanted to do it. If he had to go... this was the best way.

Originally posted by AZ Vic
He died happy, doing what he loved... the way he wanted to do it. If he had to go... this was the best way.

right......it was on his throat. the lord giveith and the lord takeith

I remember watching him on "Biker Buildoff" ripping down the highway standing on the seat and doing other stupid things.

A great talent, too bad he didn't have the sense to wear a brain bucket...

I'm surprised we haven't seen video of the crash yet w/ it in front of ~8000 people I'm sure its out there somewhere.

My motto when playing hard has always been:
"Life is a Calculated Risk, You Just Hope You Calculate Right"

I guess that particular bike wasn't meant for Larry to do that stunt, unstable for whatever conditions he was using it in so helmet or not we'll never know, bad miscalculation.

Indian Larry!!

TODAY IS A SAD DAY FOR MOTORCYLE ENTHUSIASTS. INDIAN LARRY WILL BE GREATLY MISSED. MY CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES. :(