RJC Head Gaskets Questions

1987T

Looking for 10's
I went with these as a Recommendation from several on this board. One big reason is the bump in Compression and faster spool up on a Stock 231CID engine
Question is I have 3 runs on low boost and I retorqued the Drivers side head last night (Royal PIA in the car!) Started to do the Passenger side and HOLLY CRAP! I cant get to 4 of the bolts! I only noticed one maybe 2 on the other side that took a small amount before the click at 85 FT LBS (Using ARP Head Studs)
Anyone know how Critical it is to do the Re Torque on these? If I cant get to all the studs should I just do the ones I can get to and call it a day? Really Frustrated the little motor is so small yet so GD hard to work on in the car lol.
Thanks for your help in advance

I actully hated taken the headers off to do it so I ground enough of by the bolts to do it with them on .

Attachments

• IMG_9869.JPG
    IMG_9869.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
When you say only a couple took a small amount before the click at 85 ft lbs, your just tightening them more? I always break them loose one at a time and re torque the fastener.

You need to loosen the nut them torque it down. A torque wrench doesnt work in small increments like that.

If you take the wheel off and go through the wheel well you can get to the header bolts pretty easy.

All Good info here but my real issue is the A/C Heater Box just cant get the 1/2 in Wrench down in there at all
Guess I need to redo the Drives side to as I didnt back them off and then Torque them I just thought it was like a wheel your just checking to make sure they were at the right Torque specs. :(