You can type here any text you want

RJC rocker shaft brace kit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

I am just wondering if anyone has had any problem using the RJC rocker shaft braces with the stock bolts. When my kit arrived it didn't have any instructions or hardware so I installed them using the existing (stock) hardware and torqued the bolts down to 25lbs. I am wondering if I should buy new longer bolts. Thanks, Kyle.

They are designed to work with stock bolts. Just make sure you have plenty of threads biting in the head itself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

On an engine with stock cam, stock rockers, running high 11's is this a necessary upgrade? Or mostly peace of mind?

just IMHO, i'm guessing that for stock cam, stock springs, stock RPM range, it's peace-of-mind, or you could call it a "durability/reliability" enhancement... FWIW.

On an engine with stock cam, stock rockers, running high 11's is this a necessary upgrade? Or mostly peace of mind?
I run a stock cam, stock heads and stock rocker/shafts with 100lbs valve springs for 8 years and never had a problem, but I don't put on many miles, mostly a summer weekend cruiser for now. This winter I painted my valve covers so I figured since their off I would install a set of RJC rocker shaft braces for a little peace of mind.

All rocker shafts should have some sort of saddle type brace under the bolt head. It's not so much for reinforcement it's also for spreading out the clamping load.

With the stock set up you're using a small flat bolt face to hold down a hollow piece of round tube. What you end up with is only two contact patches, in the shape of a line, from the bolt pushing down on the very top tangent of the rocker shaft. With very little torque the shaft collapses under the clamping load of the 3 bolts. What that does is stresses the parts of the shaft where the hole is drilled for the bolt (the weakest part of the shaft). When they break, it's always at that area.

A radius saddle type clamp/washer will allow the clamp load to push down on the shaft itself instead of forcing it to deform before the clamp load comes up. Keep in mind pressure is measured in pounds per square inch. The saddles I built offer .82 square inches of contact area per saddle. A long bolt offers about 1/200th sq" and grows as the shat flattens out and gets stressed.

There's been plenty of broken rocker shafts with stock cams over the years (I even broke one). Any larger cam, fast ramp speed cam, or stiffer spring setup needs some saddles.

Back