You can type here any text you want

Rocker arms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fuelie600

Does anyone make "direct replacement" rocker arms that are better than GM? I really like GM parts, but if there are stronger ones out there, then I'm interested. Thanks Brian

I would say not really on the rocker arms but definitely on the rocker shafts...Sealed Power and T/A Performance make beefier
shafts...the stock shafts are usually the weak point and tend to break before the rockers would.

Just purchased TA shafts after breaking off the #5 exhaust rocker. While changing over the rockers I noticed that rocker was begining to crack. This leads me to my original post, looking for a replacement. Brian

Then go with Sealed Power rockers...they look a little beefier than the stock ones...

Originally posted by Fuelie600
Just purchased TA shafts after breaking off the #5 exhaust rocker. While changing over the rockers I noticed that rocker was begining to crack. This leads me to my original post, looking for a replacement. Brian
I had a pushrod go right thru a rocker arm two years ago so I went the Sealed Power route with their arms and shafts.

Thanks Mark and MSDGN. Are these arms available thru local parts suppliers, or is there a certain vendor who sells them? Also, I can not find any markings on my arms identifying if left or right. That seems weird. Thanks Brian

If you are going to upgrade rockers you better upgrade the shafts as well. I broke a rocker arm shaft before I cracked a rocker. I replaced mine with the shafts from TA performance. They are quit a bit bigger than stock and I don't see them breaking anytime soon. www.taperformance.com

Sully

The stock original rockers I took off both my cars didn't have any right or left markings...I believe it's because the dimple for the pushrod is centered so it doesn't matter which way they go...as for the Sealed Power rockers the dimple is offset so they are marked 'R' and 'L'...not sure about replacement GM rockers...

Sully, I already purchsed the TA shafts. MSDGN, my GM dealer shows seperate part numbers and prices for R & L but the originals are the same in appearance. Thanks Brian

Originally posted by MSDGN
The stock original rockers I took off both my cars didn't have any right or left markings...I believe it's because the dimple for the pushrod is centered so it doesn't matter which way they go...as for the Sealed Power rockers the dimple is offset so they are marked 'R' and 'L'...not sure about replacement GM rockers...
GM replacements are also marked with the R and L. A nice complement to the beefier shafts are the Loveridge shaft braces. They allow you to torque the retaining bolts onto a flat surface, serve as rocker arm guides, brace the shafts, and most of all they look cool.

Be VERY careful when installing or buying the replacement rocker arms. The last set I bought were Melling, and the pushrod cup WAS NOT pressed in the proper location even tho the rocker was marked R or L, Also not all the rockers seemed to have the same metal finish, some were black oxide and others were plain steel. I eventually had to use a few from my 350 motor, the rockers from the 350 were all made by Sealed Power and were purchased years ago. It seems the quality of OEM type replacement parts is is gettin kinda so-so. Just double check the parts :D Mark

I have been running rocker shaft supports from T&D since I purchased MY GN1's from Tom. They do offer additional support, but I broke the stock shaft anyhow. I plan on reinstalling them over my TA shafts. Went to Auto Zone and all they offer are Melling rockers, so I'll try NAPA for Sealed Power or go to GM. Thanks Brian

Thinking of replacing my rocker shafts and rockers and see the appropriate Sealed Power #'s appear to be R-869 right and R-870 left or optional R-947 with centered pushrod cup. Wondering if these are interchangeable and is the only difference a slight "cant" to the pushrod angle when installed with the R-947... possibly undesirable? Maybe a more centered "push" on the rocker offsets this??

Last edited:
Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to bolt them up. The holes in the heads for the pushrods aren't exactly in the right place to avoid contact. Messing around with the cup location might help, hurt, or not matter.

Will see what I have for sure tomorrow or Friday. Any particular point in the head thru hole that is the contact problem area? I have not even seen if there are pushrod guides yet. I see Leveridge shaft braces mentioned earlier are these still available? Will need to find my block and head ID marks too.

Not really. There aren't guides as the rockers are 'located' with that button and on a shaft. There can be a little bit of lateral movement obviously but the holes in the heads don't match up exactly.

I noticed that building my last 4.1 a while back....
IM002559.jpg

I mocked everything up, painted the valve cover rail with layout dye and scribed a line at the pushrods actual location. After noticing how my lines matched up with the factory holes I think I found the answer to a lot of ''my lifters/rockers are noisy' threads.

Back