You can type here any text you want

Rod bearing shells slight offset

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
Should I be concerned? A few of my new bearing shells are offset from each other by about 1/16".
Would it be worth the time to file the tangs or will that cause some other problem?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1379593589.144641.jpg

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

is it the bearing or the rod index slot , pop them into a stock gm rod and see what they look like

As long as the bore gauge says they're fine at the parting line, don't worry about the offset.

I'm planning on setting the rod oil clearance according to 90 deg from the parting line.
What specs should I be looking for at the parting line?

86 T-type modified
86 T-type. Lightly modified

When you're in there with the bore gauge, you check in an "X" pattern at the parting line. That will tell you how far offset it is left to right.

Normally it's done to make sure the rod bore is cool and the gang, but it's always a good idea to make sure the bearing isn't an oil squeegee. Odds are you won't find anything as the bearing shells are thinner at the parting line for this reason.

Personally I check all over the bore just to make sure there isn't any point smaller than the journal it's going to ride on. Keep in mine, under use the vertical clearance will grow and the sides will draw in a little.

It's normal, I use to see that everyday with small
block and big block chevs and mopars.

thanks for the replies, I haven't had a chance to try the shells in a stock rod yet but, the parting line differences is .0001 so im not gona worry.
Anyone know where to get a 12"x 7/16" 12pt combo wrench? snapped the gear in my auto wrench using a cheater bar (using stretch gauge)
Andrew

Back