You can type here any text you want

Rod widths

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I'm trying to do some planning, but all my reference material is in storage, so maybe someone can help out here.

I need the "big end" widths for various rods that can be used to build up a SII.

specifically:

Buick V6 rods

SBC rods

BBC rods

I need the width of the big ends. I know the required journal diameters for the three but not widths.
Also are there two different buick widths? narrow journal/wide journal?

Thanks guys.

Dave,

I don't have all the info you need but I can give you about 3/4 of what you asked for. I'll give you rod widths, journal widths will be slightly wider. Add about .010" and it will be close. On Buicks there are narrow journal rods which are approx .842-845" wide. Wide journal rods are around .892-895" wide. Small block Chevy is right around .940" wide. Not sure about the BBC stuff.

Neal

Thanks.

I'll assume that the typical stock LC2 rod is in the .84x range then?
What application would use the wider .89x size?

I finally dug out the chevy stuff. SBC .940, and BBC is .990

Doesn't look like I'll be able to shave a set of BBC rods narrow enough to fit enough a wide journal buick crank. :(

Dave,

Stock journal width is narrow journal. Wide journal is strictly aftermarket. FWIW, the Eagle crank is narrow journal. Believe it or not Dave I know where there are a New set of BBC rods for a narrow journal Buick crank. You can have anything made if you have enough $$.

Neal

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
Dave,

Stock journal width is narrow journal. Wide journal is strictly aftermarket. FWIW, the Eagle crank is narrow journal. Believe it or not Dave I know where there are a New set of BBC rods for a narrow journal Buick crank. You can have anything made if you have enough $$.

Neal

You're kidding! They can actually be made to fit. That set must cost a mint.

Back