You can type here any text you want

roller cam keyway ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lee Thompson

Was helping a friend install his roller cam today. We took a key out of an old crank. Used it in the cam keyway. Looking at it closely, I noticed it is a little short of filling the grove in the distributer drive gear, maybe .100. I feel this will be ok, but ME OF LITTLE MIND would like to hear from people who know more about this. Thanks

Lee,

That key is 3/16 by 1- 3/8 long. I looked at a lot of suppliers and couldn't find one longer or taller. 1- 3/8 are not easy to find, Not something you will find in the selection at your local hardware store.

I'm using the Weber thrust plate setup which has you shorten the nose of the cam to the keyway. Weber supplied a key that was cut off on one end, but I don't like the small amount of surface on the key that engages the distributor gear. I'm going to make my own custom key for the setup.

The Weber setup is quality! I wish they would include a sheet with dimensions on what the nose of the cam and front cover should be cut to. That would have saved me a bunch of time measuring.

Dave

key way

I took a closer look yesterday. There is more than enough key sticking into the keyway slot on the cam gear to hold it. ( I believe it really don/t do that much holding, just locating) I also used a crank key on mine, just didn/t notice that when I had mine apart. Thanks for the replys

Back