roller cam

Ductile roller setup will set you back about 9 bills; installing it is not much more difficult that installing a flat tappet; setting the end play is the hardest part.

Make sure you have a couple or 3 timing cover gaskets handy, also.

Tee cost of Fullthrottle cam kit is $800. Labor is gonna be about 10-14hrs (depending on the experience of the installer, and if they install a new pan gasket) to do right. Labor cost is dependent on location. Around here, it is $75-125/hr. depending on the shop. You will also need a timing chain, intake gasket, timing cover gaskets (min. 2 probably 3) and to the best job, an oil pan gasket. (might as well change the rear main seal while you're at it, too.) If your cam is flat, then go ahead and have it done. If your cam is OK, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! There is very little power gain in a cam change, unless you have ported heads and a BIG turbo. There guys running solid 10 second 1/4 mile times with a stock camshaft.

its not flat,but i hear of everyones going flat and i don't want to ruin a freshly rebuilt motor

Run Shell Rotella oil and keep the flat tappet in it, 'till it "does" go flat. It really should last many many miles, IF proper cam break-in was followed. When you start hearing an increase in valvetrain noise, then swap the cam. It really is easiest to set the thrust with the engine on a stand. I've installed roller cams in the car, but they do take a bit more "finese" to get the thrust perfect. Not for the impatient.

Ken, Very Very Good Advice. Always With The Latest An Greatest. K.i.s.s. Is The Way To Go. Lot's Of Cars, Flying With Old (tech) Bolt Ons.

Ductile roller setup will set you back about 9 bills; installing it is not much more difficult that installing a flat tappet; setting the end play is the hardest part.

Make sure you have a couple or 3 timing cover gaskets handy, also.

I'm curious as to why you mention having several timing cover gaskets.

I'm curious as to why you mention having several timing cover gaskets.

The timing cover needs to be installed to properly measure/set endplay. Once the timing cover gasket is crushed, I won't reuse it- so I always keep at least 1 extra to use for the final install.