Rolling bearings in with engine in the car?

blackgn231

Money pit
Just wondering how hard it would be to do this ?Since I did not take clearances when I put my motor together ,I might have gotten a bad bearing the machine shop said ,he said to try some new bearings so I am thinking about doing this and would like to hear from others that have done this before to see how hard it is and any suprises I might run into thanks.I am going to try a undersize bearing.:confused:

Just wondering how hard it would be to do this ?Since I did not take clearances when I put my motor together ,I might have gotten a bad bearing the machine shop said ,he said to try some new bearings so I am thinking about doing this and would like to hear from others that have done this before to see how hard it is and any suprises I might run into thanks.I am going to try a undersize bearing.:confused:

What is the problem your having that you think you have to change the bearings. :confused:

It is very do-able. I have done it many times in a Turbo Buick. Not a five minute job, but it is no different than any other engine. Before you remove them, take a reading with Plasti-gauge. Also look at the bearing size on the cap side. (it is stamped on the bearing shell) If you have low oil pressure, it can be a multitude of other things besides bearings.
Excessive oil pump clearance (VERY common)
Oil gallery plug popped out (again, common)
Cam bearing loose
Loose oil pump pick-up tube
Clogged oil pump screen (with rag lint, from assembly)
Cracked timing cover
Bad timing cover gasket (causing the oil pump to suck air instead of oil.)
Excessive casting flash in timing cover (REAL common with aftermarket timing covers).................
If you narrow it down to bad bearings, look carefully at the crank journals for bad wear. If there is copper showing on the bearings, then it's time to R&R the engine and do it right.