Rolling the rear fender lips

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Ok, let me get this straight: In order to roll the wheel opening lips in the quarter panels to gain tire clearance, you use a wood baseball bat as a lever against the tire. Then you roll it along the lip and basically crush it upward, applying downward pressure while rolling it. This is after taking the molding off. Is this correct? And if you want to reinstall the molding, you have to trim it or section the inside edge with some pie cuts, bend the edges to conform to your newly crushed lip and then reinstall?

HI JOHN. I BELIEVE THE TECHNIQUE IS TO STICK THE BAT IN THERE AGAINST THE TIRE AND INNER LIP AND HAVE SOMEONE MOVE THE CAR BACK AND FORTH A COUPLE FEET. JUST PULL THE BAT OUT A LITTLE TO GET TO THE FATTER PART OF THE BAT TILL YOUR DONE.

IF YOU'RE ONLY AFRAID OF MILD TIRE TO LIP CONTACT WHEN YOU DRIVE, THINK ABOUT WIDE DOOR EDGE GUARD MOULDING INSTALLED ON THE INNER LIP TO PROTECT THE TIRE.

Hi John,

I needed a LOT of space for my tire/wheel combo, and had to beat the snot outta (carefully... does that make sense?) my fender lips with a hammer after trim removal. Then, yes, I had to cut sections out of the trim pieces. The trim seems to stay on and locate fine if you leave the two screw holes front and rear of arch at the highest point up where they won't interfere with the tire.

Worked for me, and no tire rub! Even ran 295/50 Hoosiers (which seem to run big for their stated size) on a 8" wide wheel on my T-Type with no problem!