Roofing question

georgewe4

We have an 11 year old house that is already due for a roof. I'm getting tired of picking up shingles out of the yard after every windy day. At my last house I did a complete tear off and re-shingle. Tonight while we were picking out the color of shingles that I will be installing on the house I came up with a question. Hopefully someone can answer this. I am not doing a tear off, I am going to shingle over the existing thin shingles. Do I need to have a starter row of shingles turned backwards the first row like you do on a new roof? I hope this makes sense. I'm assuming I don't since I am covering over existing shingles...Am I right? Also we are going three dimensional. Thats what we did at our last house.
Thanks!
George

We have an 11 year old house that is already due for a roof. I'm getting tired of picking up shingles out of the yard after every windy day. At my last house I did a complete tear off and re-shingle. Tonight while we were picking out the color of shingles that I will be installing on the house I came up with a question. Hopefully someone can answer this. I am not doing a tear off, I am going to shingle over the existing thin shingles. Do I need to have a starter row of shingles turned backwards the first row like you do on a new roof? I hope this makes sense. I'm assuming I don't since I am covering over existing shingles...Am I right? Also we are going three dimensional. Thats what we did at our last house.
Thanks!
George

When we moved in here to our house 5 years ago, I decided to re-roof. I took the easy route and roofed over the existing shingles. I didn't turn them backwards and I have never had one single shingle blow off or rip up. We have a lot of high winds up here in the mountains and it's not been a problem so far. I know people who do turn them backwards, but like you already said, that's basically used on new construction and probably not necessary. My $.02:)

I would do tear off. The cost is mainly labor. You can inspect the plywood sheets and less weight on the trusses. JMO.

Regardless..Spend the extra money and go with a 20+ year Architectural Shingle. :smile:

I would do tear off. The cost is mainly labor. You can inspect the plywood sheets and less weight on the trusses. JMO.

Regardless..Spend the extra money and go with a 20+ year Architectural Shingle. :smile:

Same here, I'd never consider roofing over an old roof. Spend a little more up front and have the peace of mind that comes with it. As stated, shingles DO matter, the better the shingle the longer they'll last. My 11 y.o. "30 yr architectural shingle" roof made it through the eye of Hurricane Rita with only the loss of a few ridge shingles...

Strip it Ice & water shield 6ft up both sdes U got the money do the whole roof w/i&w shield Then shingle it $100 a role 75x3 or 4 feet wide Trust me on this one 35yrs in Me weather roofing Disabled now But still at it some

Strip it Ice & water shield 6ft up both sides or if u got the money do it all in i&w shield 75x3 or 4 ft wide Then shingle it 35yrs at it in Me weather Trust me on this 1

Yes they are 30 year architectual shingles. The last house I did a tear off complete to the wood, then I papered it and shingled it with the 30 year architectual shingles. I like the way the look and so much thicker it seems. If I tore this one off I would want to tar paper it also, so I figured I would just keep the thin cheap butt shingles that was put on this house 10 years ago when it was built. I didn't see a difference between tar paper and these things we have up there now. I have a hard time coping with a 10 year old house needing a roof. We have done Furnace, Air, water heater, water softner, and dish washer. The builder built this house for him and his wife. I would have figured better stuff would have been used. He is now building $300,000 plus homes not to far from here. I work in the heating and cooling business and it is amazing the new furnaces and a/c's we put in newer homes. They cheap up a lot of times on the mechanical systems of a house and put the effort toward the look and wow factor. Oh well the rest of the house seems to be built rather well. So I'm ok. I hope you guys understand why I'm probably going to keep the old shingles up there. Not a lazy thing. I just don't see the point.

Yes they are 30 year architectual shingles. The last house I did a tear off complete to the wood, then I papered it and shingled it with the 30 year architectual shingles. I like the way the look and so much thicker it seems. If I tore this one off I would want to tar paper it also, so I figured I would just keep the thin cheap butt shingles that was put on this house 10 years ago when it was built. I didn't see a difference between tar paper and these things we have up there now. I have a hard time coping with a 10 year old house needing a roof. We have done Furnace, Air, water heater, water softner, and dish washer. The builder built this house for him and his wife. I would have figured better stuff would have been used. He is now building $300,000 plus homes not to far from here. I work in the heating and cooling business and it is amazing the new furnaces and a/c's we put in newer homes. They cheap up a lot of times on the mechanical systems of a house and put the effort toward the look and wow factor. Oh well the rest of the house seems to be built rather well. So I'm ok. I hope you guys understand why I'm probably going to keep the old shingles up there. Not a lazy thing. I just don't see the point.

Ahh, a fellow hvac man, cool deal. Just roof over them, it'll be just fine.:)

hvac

Yessss. The job keeps me on my toes. Never hardly a boring day, always learning something. Started back in 1988 with my first job as an install helper while I was still in school for it. I could honestly say I would do most of it over again. Coming to Arizona the 16th of April for a class. Can't wait to see Arizona again. Was in Tempe about 7 years ago for another class as well and loved it. This one is is going to be in Phoenix. Hoping for dry weather:biggrin:
I would move there in a second if I could, with a good job like I have.

Yessss. The job keeps me on my toes. Never hardly a boring day, always learning something. Started back in 1988 with my first job as an install helper while I was still in school for it. I could honestly say I would do most of it over again. Coming to Arizona the 16th of April for a class. Can't wait to see Arizona again. Was in Tempe about 7 years ago for another class as well and loved it. This one is is going to be in Phoenix. Hoping for dry weather:biggrin:
I would move there in a second if I could, with a good job like I have.

Awesome, I started about 7 years ago as a lowly install helper, currently have 7 guys under me as a foreman, we do pretty much 80%/20% residential and commercial. I love my job.... I make good money here in flagstaff, I know you could make an absolute killing in the phoenix area, they are hurting for techs/installers anything to do with hvac in general. :)

If you have had NO problems with your roof you should be OK with a second layer. The problems I have seen is that the builders cheap out on the roof board and you may not know it. My nephews was only 10 years old and we had to replace half the roof boards. Then we did it right with ice guard and good shingles.

Simple answer on the install, every package of roofing has the directions on it. Follow them!

well ive been roofing since 1997. im a roofer :) theres nothing wrong with a reroof. your first course, or 'starter row' is exactly like as if you were roofing a fresh roof. all the same procedures. we call it 'butt and run'. butt the rooflines and go. theyre super easy. Though we never had a leak, most companies only offer shorter warranties with reroofs. the better way is to do a tear off and do it the right way. imho.

reroof

What the gentleman has on the roof now is fiberglass shingles Thin enough to go over Dont turn the first 1 upside down You will have 4 shingles for the first layer Get a can of roofing cement dab a little on the first layer thats there then start shingling That way there the first one all the way across wont blow away The best to you on your project

I'm looking at starting this next week. I took a week of vacation... What a way to spend a week. They haven't delivered the shingles yet. Weather looks great this week in the upper 60's to 70's. This weekend is supposed to be cooler.. Man I hope its nice out next week.
Thanks for all of the advice.
George

Done!!!!

:D I just wanted to say thanks again for all of the advice. I finished yesterday and got everything cleaned up just as the rain came and the weather turned. I worked all day Saturday, after church Sunday, dawn to dusk Monday, and yesterday most of the day. It looks great. It survived the wind and rain last night without a leak or missing shingle. I'm so glad its over with. My body has to recover now, sunburn and very sore. It was worth it though.
Thanks everyone.
George