You can type here any text you want

Rope Seal Rear Main Seal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eticket

I started to ask another question, but my real question is.. what differentiates a S2 from using a BBC seal or a Buick seal? is it just crank diameter?

Thanks,
John

Block

The way the block is cast is the difference. Are you still fighting the leak. If it is cast for a BBC seal then there is no way to use a Buick seal. Also the crank journal dia. Buick journal is larger. Don't remember how much, maybe .020.

Lee,

Yes sir.. however, I've replaced the seal 2x now.. this last time.. if I let the oil go down .5 or so... it only leaks like a normal rear main.. which is driveable.

but it just sucks to be driving around an expensive custom oil leaker.. I know you know..

John

yes

I guy from Louisville, Ky. had the same problem as you and I. I put him in touch with my machinest friend who knurlled him crank for him. Also made some kind of sleeve to make up for the difference in crank dia. He reported back with zero leak.

Lee, I've got the leaky rear main too. Its coming out around the seal and not around the cap. The crank was done by Moldex and I told them I was using a Buick seal. They didn't knurl the seal area.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that Buicks leak. Next time the crank comes out, I'll see about getting it knurled. I hope that won't be for a LONG time!

Dave

Moldex

Nice people there and they tried to help me trouble shoot my leak. Once I found that it MUST be knurled if using a Buick seal, I sent it to Whitey, he put some lines in it (not the correct angle and not deep enough ) Said he ruined 2 knurling tools since the crank was HARD. Assured me it was enough, lasted somewhat longer then no knurl, but still developed a leak, but not as bad. I have a local friend (toolmaker )that I worked with @ the factory. He took a stock crank and my Moldex crank, made a pattern and somehow put the lines in @ the correct angle and depth. NOT 1 drop of oil has leaked from the seal in 2 years. Don't know what he would charge, but he has done another for the guy from Louisville. Moldex had not run into this problem, so they didn't know to knurl yours. If I remember right your was done before mine. My crank came off the shelf.
Doug Anderson from Grooms eng. gave me the info. on knurling as they learned the expencieve way.

Thanks Lee... I figured I would shoot this out to see if anything else has developed since we talked.. Can I contact you when I'm ready to pull this thing back apart? I don't think it will be for awhile.

I'm back in school and unemployed for the time being, so I can only do a little tinkering with the car.. Nothing big like pulling a motor.

Thanks,
John

ps.. I have actually had my car to the track and ran 131mph on 20psi.. not too bad huh? Just too busy with other things to get more track time in.

Back