rough idle/low boost

bobwieser

almost out of beer
My engine started to idle rough,and will only boost enough to turn on the yellow light.(verified red light working) a couple weeks ago was boosting with the red on, although i dont think i ever hit 9 psi, car runs very well and smooth on the highway though. one thing i found is that the idle screw backed off to the point that the spring was free, when i go to adjust per the emissions sticker to 650 in drive it will idle at about 1000 rpms in park. used to be like 700 in park. this with engine warmed up and fast idle cam on low choke open. it is a 79 sport coupe bone stock. figured id ask for suggestions although i havent done anyrealtroubleshooting yet.

Sounds like a vac leak Bob. I'll almost bet you have a line loose somewhere. Have you replaced all of the original vac lines and used zip ties to keep them in place?

yeah i replaced all those lines when i overhauled the engine, gonna do some looking around tonight, put the vacume gauge on, etc; i do want to do some of the tuning mods i read about here, great stuff btw. nows the time i guess, i only want like 10- 12 lbs of boost though, for the moment.

Cool. Post what you find and if you are going to add boost do Rich's DIY alky for cheap. That should keep the detonation away.

well, i found a line off my efe valve, and my thermac sensor stopped working right and was holding the air cleaner door closed, i plugged the line at the thermac, and plugged the line back to the efe, problem solved, now i will order a new thermac sensor . thanks for the help, maybe i should look with my eyes and not my keyboard next time:D

LOL I think we're all guilty of this Bob. BTW, welcome to the forum. Go to your user controls and add some info so we have a better idea of where you're located. Then go to your state section at the bottom of the first page and say hello so you can find others in your area. Have a GREAT night.

The 84/87 used the wider converter like the Monte Carlo SS. I would think if you wanted to keep converter with the AIR tube, then a convertor and y-pipe from a MCSS whould be what you want (just don't get the tailpipes exiting at the bumper).

You may need to use an aftermarket convertor to get the right front and back ends on it. The rear hanger will need to match the converter as well.

transmission questions

i have a 1985 cutlass with a even fire 231,with a 200 4r curious what i need to do to convert it from automatic to manual

i have a 1985 cutlass with a even fire 231,with a 200 4r curious what i need to do to convert it from automatic to manual

Flywheel, bellhousing, linkage, clutch assembly, and tranny. The hardest of these to get is the bellhousing. The linkage you can get off of evilbay. the flywheel from a parts store new as well as the clutch. You'll need the clutch for a 78-79 Regal and you can get a tranny if you do some searching. Don't use the T5 from an S-10 though. Make sure it's out of a mid 80's Camaro with a V8 in it.

finished the 87 gn exhaust today, was a bit of a pain to install, but I am very happy with the sound/results

unsure, was at 9psi with a lead foot, havent hooked the boost gauge up yet, i will post the results as soon as i do though.