run in with a mach 1

denn454

turbo swimmer
this happend a long while ago, but i'm bored out of my mind so i figured i'd share it with you guys.

I'm doing to the movies with 2 of my friends, one weighs about 320 (not a typo, hes huge) the other is around 256-260, i'm barely pushing 140 myself but thts beside the point. so needless to say the car is loaded pretty heavly.

Both of these guys really like my car, mostly the sleeper look. we usually run into some rice when were out but i never like tryign much because with an extra 500 lbs i'm not running that good. and i run at 10# on the street anyways.

so were going down a nice long straight road and a very nice looking mustang pulls out of a dealership, has temporary tags with one month left on them, i figure its a brand new car. it had the dual exhaust tips so i thought it was a cobra, i didnt' think about looking at the bumper. my friends are going "you can take him, its just a pos ford" Meanwhile i'm thinking no way i cant' take a cobra. as i get closer i see the side emblem, just the round thing with the horse, not a snake so i figure fords giving their gt's dual tips out the bumper. I pull up a little closer, he hears me and jumps on it, he had a 1/2 car head start and i wasn't into it, we both let off. we got a little closer and went fom about 30, he put a car on me till the turbo spooled then VERY slowly kept pulling on me. I think if we would have went from a stop it would have been close. let me drop off a couple hundred lbs and i could have easly taken him.

nice looking cars, i really like the shaker hood schoop and the flat black stripe. respectable running cars too.

good run mach 1s are fast cars stock they run 13 1s 1300 stock not bad for none super charged mustang.

its easier on gas, i never get any knock, i have nearly 160k on the engine and dont' see any reason to push it any harder than i need to. I'll still run 20#'s at the track, thas enough f a beating on the engine.

It was my first loss on the street, also the last time i ever raced. was still fun to race something other than a slow camero or mustang, or the usual rice.

I also had the opportunity to tangle with a new Mach 1. We ran from a stop to 100mph. Beat him by 1/2 a car length. I was just happy I beat him because that car ran strong. I was very surprised he was that close since my 87GN runs 13.2 @106. Traction was a problem with my radials but after hooking up in 2nd my alky injection made up for it:D

Also, took out a modified '99 Cobra by 3 car lengths.

These Mustang guys weren't too pleased to lose to a near stock GN, but they felt better after I told them I was running alcohol injection to crank the boost up to 22psi on my stock turbo.

i really was shocked. then to find out there only a few bucks more than a convertable gt, which is still reasonable. out of my price range, but for a new car that runs that good, you'e got to admit its respectable. almost makes me want one, almost.

almost makes me want one, almost.

Except for the fact that everyone and their brother seems to own a Mustang:rolleyes:

I appreciate the unique attention that our cars bring out of complete strangers. Can't drive down the road without everyone pointing and talking about the black beast.

I have a Mach I also, and they are great cars, but there is nothing like driving a turbo car. There is a guy down here in Texas however that has a turbo on his Mach. They featured it in a Mustang mag and it looks like it'd be baaaad. Hell I've got a stock GN turbo sitting around maybe I'll try to bolt it on :D

One of my buddies dad has an 01 Cobra R ....insane, only 300 ever made. Heres what makes it more insane
Garret T72 turbo........
530whp on only 5psi!!
Its one of only 2 ever made like it. Go to forcedairsystems.com to check its clone out.

Originally posted by denn454
it had the dual exhaust tips so i thought it was a cobra, i didnt' think about looking at the bumper.

i figure fords giving their gt's dual tips out the bumper.

GTs have always had dual tips.

i ran a new Mach 1 last summer on the highway...bright yellow one...he was flying going 70 mph and i figured "hey this guy wants to play" so i caught up to him...then lined up beside him going about 70 and nailed it...needless to say i put 10 car lengths on him in a hurry...then he backed off...of course i had a TE-44 and 50's...running mid 11's...no match for a mach 1...nice cars though and 320 horses isn't too shabby...too bad the GTs don't have that kind of power...

Nice run. Were you in Denver? It seems nothing comes my way when I'm cruising in the beast.

104th and federal, he just pulled out of john elway heading west on 104th.

I have no doubt i could have taken him, but i've realized the street isn't the place for this. hopefully i'll see him at bandimere.

The new Mach I's have right at 305 hp, not 320...BUT, does have 320 lbs/tq...regardless...good kill

305 is the stated horsepower, 320 is actually an average of what most drivers are getting on the dyno. Also the torque ups to about 330-350, depending on the car (all of these #'s are at the crank). But of course every car is different and who knows for example: Car and Driver got a 14.1 second quarter out of the Mach I and every other mag got at least a 13.6, so I suppose it's all relative.