You can type here any text you want

Run the stock turbo inlet breather tube?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok, I'm blowing oil out the back of my engine (I know, the installer put this thing together like crap, and it's just a band aid) and out of my DS valve cover breather, and I'm wondering if I just should just go back to the original passenger side breather tube and have crank case suction during boost.

Could be, either the pcv is faulty, or the ring seal is gone. As in the engine is loose enuf to blow oil out the breather.
Hooking the oem breather back up will only pump that oil into the turbo.
Find out what's going on w/ the blow by.
Compression check.
Leak down check.
Plugs are nasty??
Valve covers leaking?
Rear of intake is leaking?
Intake is leaking internally, blowing boost into the pan?
If it's a shit job of assy, I'd find those issues and fix them.

Are your breathers restrictive? Most breathers come with those rubber grommets with little baffles in them. Cut that crap outta there and let the crankcase breath. It won't fix a bad gasket but at least it's a step in the right direction.

PCV is faulty? It's disabled. PCV only works on vacuum. My problem is under boost. Did a leakdown test and it passed with flying colors. Plugs are perfect. Valve cover gaskets are ok. Rear intake leaking? Not sure. That's a point I should look closer at. Internally leaking intake? Another good point I should look at. Not sure.
Are my breathers restrictive? I don't believe they are. No baffles. Though I was told that it's usually the baffle-less breathers are the ones that leak from the baffles. Is that not true?

And even though some of my seals can be a tad leaky, that wouldn't change the amount of oil my little factory oil vapor recirculation system would suck in would it? Would my alky injection help take care of that oil vapor condensating in my dog house and muckin' everything up?

Last edited:
Me and others have put a check valve between intake and pcv, they tend to be leaky and let boost by into crankcase.

The wife's 68 caprice which is most certainly before any type of emissions had a PCV.

It's not to help keep the air clean? It's much cheaper to just run valve cover breathers isn't it? Why did the makers choose a pcv system then?

You are correct, the PCV was the first real emissions control device for reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

Open crankcase / open breather is old school, and it's still found today on many modern diesels. When the engine goes WOT and pulls power, the blow-by rates reach maximum and that's when those gases need to escape as freely as possible. Usually a large free flowing breather or a pair of breathers is adequate.

Running your crankcase "closed breather" like stock will work, just be prepared to find oil carryover in your intercooler and in intake manifold. Alky will help to wash it down some but not for the intercooler. No big deal, just clean it out when you want to. The system will also be sensitive to turbo air inlet restriction. High restriction will help to pull the crankcase gases through and will beneficially reduce crankcase pressure, but it's also generally bad for power / performance. Run with very low inlet restriction that most of us strive for, and the system won't really pull the crankcase pressure down much and your external leaks may persist pretty much the same way they are now.

Back