Running a bit lean< need help!

luis gonzalez

hey guys,

i believe im running a bit lean on my 86 gn, i have ran it for about an hour and its smoking less. but smells a bit like gas. the car had not been turned on for over a year and the gas believe had gone a bit stale.(added 108 octane booster). my current set up is as follows;

atr pitbull chip for the 40psi inj. (from99)

i have the regulator set to40 psi with the vacuum hose connected and about 44 without it.

is there away i can re adjust for the time being, i want to burn through the entire gas tank so i can add new fuel, change oil, spark plugs, wires, filters, etc...

perhaps the smell is normal considering the time it had been off, dont know. let me know what are my options as far the fuel goes. also im going to order a turbo tweak chip from eric this upcoming year..

thanks,

luis

If you smell gas I thought that ment it was burning to rich and couldn't burn it all, hence the smell...I could be wrong though

i do not have a scan tool, and i believe the only vacuum line that is not connected is the one that goes to the turbo. and as far vacuum hoses go, theres a few of them that look old and cracked. would that cause it to run rich??? the engine seems to idle fine.

Have you pulled a plug to verify its running rich? Post a pic of number 1 plug an number 2 just to get an idea of what each side looks like. (Easiest ones to get to)

i have not yet, i will do first thing tommorow and post both pics, also while im at, what are the right spark plugs for our cars not quite sure which ones i got last time but i believe they might of been the wrong ones. the cars fairly stock only 40 pound injectors, walboro f/p, hotwire kit, and minor things like that.

44's are stock. I'd replace the bad hoses. Get a chip and a SM from Eric. We can't honestly diagnose what's going on with your engine unless we have some data. Post up your SM numbers with the engine warmed up when you get your new goodies...and we'll help you from there.

hey guys,

i believe im running a bit lean on my 86 gn, i have ran it for about an hour and its smoking less. but smells a bit like gas. the car had not been turned on for over a year and the gas believe had gone a bit stale.(added 108 octane booster)......................thanks,

luis

The only things one year old pump gas is good for is cleaning concrete and killing weeds. :(

Running it out in a GN is NOT a good way to dispose of it, and if you have 118 octane booster that is real, let me know as I would like to use that instead of my $13 a gallon race gas! :D

Oh, by the way, I have never seen a Pit Bull chip run lean, so it must be the gas, bad fuel pump or other issue. :confused:

Its actually running rich, I thought I corrected earlier. Well the bottle said its was 108 octane booster forgive for not knowing about octane;-).

His point is that octane booster bottles from the auto parts stores do little to nothing to add major octane to the mix. Get rid of that gas before anything, do not run any boost with it at all. And as many have said - get a scanmaster, you really need one with these cars or you will be chasing a poor running car at best or breaking/melting things...

-Mark