You can type here any text you want

running lean on entire pass side bank WTF!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I think I know what you refer to, but put it into simplest form. Did this make a difference?

If Sequential makes no difference do you think they would have gone through the trouble of implementing it ?

To carry it further why do you think all the more powerful ECU's are using Phase angles for injection if it didn't make any difference.

here are the plugs on the pass side bank, they are numbered according to the file picture name. They are new UR3 NGK

The timing "line" on those plugs looks to be a bit too close to the base of the strap, but I don't see detonation specs on the porcelain..Then too, really accurate reads are only on fresh plugs, clean cut.

I agree with you 100% on the main bearing being toasted. I believe it was a separate issue that stems back to the time where the builder put too loose of bearings in. We had oil pressure for shit. We undersized .001 and I MUST have done something wrong along the way. The plastigauge showed a nice .018 +/- .001-.002 across the mains at that time. As for the rod bearings that fell out of their caps...I think these were victims of the detonation on their respective cylinders. My study this week is finding two problems in one occurrence. I'd wager a Benjamin on it.

You use both 1/2's of the .001 unders? If I read this correctly, you ended up w/ .0018 +/- .0001-.0002.

The stock setup is sequential fired as well .. the pin position on the 7 pin needs to have the correct order to utilize SEFI .. its not a BATCH setup ..

Looks like it ended up as an out of "whack" batch fire.
Amazing that it ran as well as it did, and made 160 miles.....
I agree w/ Rick, on the brgs.......

If Sequential makes no difference do you think they would have gone through the trouble of implementing it ?

To carry it further why do you think all the more powerful ECU's are using Phase angles for injection if it didn't make any difference.
ok, please. I can tell you are knowledgeable but when I pose a question please do us all a favor for those less experienced and answer the question. I have no idea what you are talking about. I know enough....and learning enough to be dangerous...which was proved correct. If you want to post in the thread your opinions, please "try" to explain in lamens terms. I know ALOT about the bodies on these things and have made damn near every part for them, and can go in details and ask other people questions on their threads about their issues at hand...but cannot. I need to use simple verbiage to lead them along.

ok, please. I can tell you are knowledgeable but when I pose a question please do us all a favor for those less experienced and answer the question. I have no idea what you are talking about. I know enough....and learning enough to be dangerous...which was proved correct. If you want to post in the thread your opinions, please "try" to explain in lamens terms. I know ALOT about the bodies on these things and have made damn near every part for them, and can go in details and ask other people questions on their threads about their issues at hand...but cannot. I need to use simple verbiage to lead them along.

IF you have no idea what I'm talking about then why do you even have a XFI ?

I'll stay out of your thread .. that's what I get for trying to help

On boost, unless your injectors are really, really big. the injector is open more than it is closed. so the cylinder assignment in sequential is not very important. the sequential was invented in the OEM stuff for emissions IMO. It carried over into the aftermarket because its easier to get a huge injector to run decently with sequential, and the injector rail dynamics (pressure pulsing in the rail) are better.

that said, how much WOT running did you do in 150 miles? (break-in miles?) knock sensor working?

Bob

IF you have no idea what I'm talking about then why do you even have a XFI ?

I'll stay out of your thread .. that's what I get for trying to help

Brother man, I JUST got the damn thing. Trying to get in touch with Cal is difficult as he is not available on weekends as he is usually racing. I am working on my car during the weekends. SO, see the conflict? This is the reason I ask for help in areas that are grey to me. Then try to reach Cal during the week as I learn and confirm if he believes we are on the correct path. No need to feel offended and stay out. Just try to think like someone that has a hell of alot less knowledge and experience than you do!

Last edited:
On boost, unless your injectors are really, really big. the injector is open more than it is closed. so the cylinder assignment in sequential is not very important. the sequential was invented in the OEM stuff for emissions IMO. It carried over into the aftermarket because its easier to get a huge injector to run decently with sequential, and the injector rail dynamics (pressure pulsing in the rail) are better.

that said, how much WOT running did you do in 150 miles? (break-in miles?) knock sensor working?

Bob

Funny you ask Bob, as this was a post i listed a week ago. short answer. 5 10lb boost pulls in this 150 mi trip, nothing stupid...just pulling onto entrance ramps to interstates. NEVER saw KR retard, and I know this because I heard the last two and said....man that sounds like knock...but the KR is not moving at ALL. Not break in miles. I just finished putting a set of TA headers on.

http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/lets-talk-knock-sensors-esc-modules.438134/

Who built the bottom end?

It almost appears there are 2 separate factors going on here that caused the demise.

D

Who built the bottom end?

It almost appears there are 2 separate factors going on here that caused the demise.

D
someone that came high regarded in my area, not widely known. 2 factors...definately

Will be looking at the head and valves tonight. On my lunch I took some time to read about a couple things and questions came to my mind

1. Boost creep. Does my 6262 have the "capability" of keeping up with flow. I did port the wastegate hole a good amount.
2. Was it possible I had my MBC set wrongly during this short stint making the valves run hot for a short time....throwing me for a loop?
3. I had 6 turns on the waste gate rod. This would equal 20# boost. The adjustable actuator bracket needed to be customized as recommended by supplier. The bolt pattern was not correct. Maybe the modification made me hold to 25-30 lb boost??

Maybe what I need to do when time for re-assembly is take the actuator down to the normal "pull for 1/8" = 15lb boost. Set the MBC all the way counter clockwise ( Hallman MBC) and turn the MBC till I see the actuator move with some compressed air set at 15lb. THen move equal distances on the actuator/MBC till it is adjusted properly. E85 conversion will be finished as well, yielding better octane and hopefully safer outcomes!

Will be looking at the head and valves tonight. On my lunch I took some time to read about a couple things and questions came to my mind

1. Boost creep. Does my 6262 have the "capability" of keeping up with flow. I did port the wastegate hole a good amount.
2. Was it possible I had my MBC set wrongly during this short stint making the valves run hot for a short time....throwing me for a loop?
3. I had 6 turns on the waste gate rod. This would equal 20# boost. The adjustable actuator bracket needed to be customized as recommended by supplier. The bolt pattern was not correct. Maybe the modification made me hold to 25-30 lb boost??

Maybe what I need to do when time for re-assembly is take the actuator down to the normal "pull for 1/8" = 15lb boost. Set the MBC all the way counter clockwise ( Hallman MBC) and turn the MBC till I see the actuator move with some compressed air set at 15lb. THen move equal distances on the actuator/MBC till it is adjusted properly. E85 conversion will be finished as well, yielding better octane and hopefully safer outcomes!

Just my $.02..
The turns on the rod, the distance to pull, all amount to SWAGS..."Scientific wild ass guesses.
As for # 2... during normal driving, tuned correctly, the w/g could be welded shut, and your valves would not be under hi temp stress...You have a gauge? What did it say, when you accelerated?
Your sig says Alky Control...Was it working?

Bottom line: The XFI has data logging.
The speculation, he said/she said, could be eliminated, w/ logs. Sorry, but that's an expensive lesson. We all experience them.
Good luck w/ the "do over".

Just my $.02..
The turns on the rod, the distance to pull, all amount to SWAGS..."Scientific wild ass guesses.
As for # 2... during normal driving, tuned correctly, the w/g could be welded shut, and your valves would not be under hi temp stress...You have a gauge? What did it say, when you accelerated?
Your sig says Alky Control...Was it working?

Bottom line: The XFI has data logging.
The speculation, he said/she said, could be eliminated, w/ logs. Sorry, but that's an expensive lesson. We all experience them.
Good luck w/ the "do over".
SWAGS.... love it...will use it.....!!
Alky...as for as I know it was working....red light...to green light you know...Gain was at 3 or so.
Gauge, as in boost? Using the boost reading through the E-dash. It was reading 6-10, not ever over this reading during my drive.
Logs...yup. Looks like in the interim I will be logging each drive.
Tune...will be attempting to fly Cal up here to Cincinnati soon.

Pulled the heads completely apart yesterday. Things look good. Mating surfaces between the valve seat and Valves are mating up fine. They do need a cleaning. I wish the car was never a hot air car. You can see at one time where I was running pig rich. The ports are scammer as well as carboned. Going to have the springs measured and set proper installed height....then back together they go.

Short block landed at ZImmerman in phoenix yesterday AM.

Fuel sender and pump should be coming from Nick this week

New gas tank comes in today.

If I have fuel delivery problems after this stint, put a bullet in my head, put me in the trunk of the car and push it off the cliff. Just make sure the wife gets the most of the life insurance $

Back