You can type here any text you want

Running skinnies on the street

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boostfreak

knock? is that good?
So, if I end up getting some 15x4's or 15x5's for the front wheels, how is it driving on the street with them? I'm not looking to take corners with them, just going around the city on weekends and driving on the highway to get to the track. Hopefully no one has any horror stories.

So, if I end up getting some 15x4's or 15x5's for the front wheels, how is it driving on the street with them? I'm not looking to take corners with them, just going around the city on weekends and driving on the highway to get to the track. Hopefully no one has any horror stories.

Perfectly fine as long as you're not "taking corners".... :cool:

Ran 165s on a 3.5 for years..no problems.My last GN that i sold,the new owner drove from Baltimore to Tampa on them in the middle of winter:biggrin:

I disagree. Not intended for the street even if they are for a volkswagen.

I had a tire overheat, sidewall ruptured and took out the rim and fenderwell.

Pot hole....forget it. Almost guaranteed to mess up the banding in the tire. So you drive on the street with them, no problems that you are aware of, then to the track where it decides to come apart three quarters of the way down at speed.

Put'em in your trunk, or have your track support carry them. Awful nice car to leave to chance.

There's my two cents.

Secrest out.

Hmm. I don't know if it's worth the risk, but then again it barely sees the road right now. I ultimately plan to run 17's on the street and have a seperate set for the track with slicks on them. Maybe I'll go that route now.

Hmnn.. What about braking when the car in ft decides to panic stop?
Wreck it, and see if the ambulance chasers don't take a look at the tires.

Good point. So what about a 15x6? That wouldn't be considered a "skinny", right?

Good point. So what about a 15x6? That wouldn't be considered a "skinny", right?

i daily drive on 15x6's. its not that bad, but i wouldnt completly trust them on a hard stop either. but i havent had them slip up yet in cornering or stopping.

15 x 6 is not the limiting factor, the tire size is.

Got it, thanks:). Yeah I'm not tearing up the 1/4 every weekend anyways so I guess it would be silly to do it. I'll probably throw something bigger on and be done with it. Thanks for the opinions guys (good call on the accident thing by the way).

It's braking that's the issue due to less tire surface contact when braking is applied since 60% of ur braking comes from the front wheels/tires.

I opted for a 15x6 with a 26x8 tire up front since my car is a street car. I figured that was a good happy medium. Might loose .10 in the 1/4 with a 15x6 vs. 15x4 but I really don't give a chit.

The rim size imo is a factor because if the tire is too big for the rim is will loose some stability when taking corners since it won't be supported by the rim as well like in a 15x4 inch rim with a tire that is too big for the rim.

It's braking that's the issue due to less tire surface contact when braking is applied since 60% of ur braking comes from the front wheels/tires.

I opted for a 15x6 with a 26x8 tire up front since my car is a street car. I figured that was a good happy medium. Might loose .10 in the 1/4 with a 15x6 vs. 15x4 but I really don't give a chit.

The rim size imo is a factor because if the tire is too big for the rim is will loose some stability when taking corners since it won't be supported by the rim as well like in a 15x4 inch rim with a tire that is too big for the rim.

15x6 sounds like the one to me. I don't think a .10 will make a difference for me anyways. I footbreak like a crackhead anyways. Thanks for the imput.

I run 15 x 4's with the 165's on the front of mine all the time. Yes I agree with the above posts about braking and turns. Turns are even worse with your front swaybar off. Knock on wood I have not had any problem with my Beetle tires. Would love to put some 18's on the car when on the street, but I just don't have the coin for the wheels I want.

I run a 215/65/15 on a 15x5 wheel. Looks somewhat skinny but works good on the street. Tried a skinny front tire/wheel at the track once and did not see a difference in et/mph.

Back