You can type here any text you want

Running way hot (oh and stalling too)!

• Thread starter Thread starter Baron
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
B

Baron

Ok, so I just had $320.00 of work done (thermostat, waterpump, rotted out the radiator) done on my Buick ('81 4.1 v6) to fix the overheating problem that just sprang up, but I was informed that most likely I had a hole in a head gasket when they were all done with it and that would be like another $900. Well, I'm a poor kid and can't do that (I'm trying to sell it anyway, anythoughts on value for an '81 LeSabre that is in otherwise good condition). They told me to try some block sealer, which I am, but it still seems to be doing that. What it does is 1: Heat up really fast. It runs fine (well, it dies when I put it in gear right after I start it when it's cold unless i give it a bit of gas) until it warms up. 2: Once it's warm/hot it will die when I stop or start slowing down a lot unless I put it in neutral and give it some gas. 3: Once I park and open the hood, the water/antifreeze is basically boiling in the reserve tank.
Anyway, I wanted to see what some of y'all that actually know a lot about these engines thought and what my best course of action is to get it going and sold ASAP!

They should have found the blown head gasket BEFORE doing the $320 worth of work. The bubbling in the overflow is a pretty good sign of blown head gasket. :(

$900? It's probably cheaper to install a junkyard 3.8.

The 4.1 engine is worth a few bucks for the crank and maybe as a core to someone building a 4.1 Turbo V6.

It's probably not worth much as is. :(

Yeah, I agree, I think they should have found that too assuming that is what it is (I think it is that too), but seeing that they didn't, I still spent the money and I can't get it back... I would love to get about 2500-3000 for it, but I don't think it's going to happen as is :(. Is it really bad for it though to drive it like this b/c I have to go to work and such... Anyway, I'm still open to all commments and ideas.

If combustion gases are getting into your coolant, then collant is getting into your combustion chamber. And then into the oil. Check your oil and see if it looks like chocolate milk.

When bearings get hot hot, the water in the oil vaporizes (boils) and pushes any oil away. Then the bearing is riding metal to metal and they don't last long that way.

Don't drive it, IMO.

Back